What's the common setting used on washing machines for cycle gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonesome_rider

Hi :biggrin:,

I never know what's the best setting to use on the washing machine for my Lycra gear and tops. So far I have obviously got away with it, but there must be a common rule of thumb.

Bit of a sucker for Specialized brand and have a black short sleeved jersey with black shorts. I also have a red short sleeved jersey with red bibs. Also have black arm and leg warmers.

All the labels on these say wash at 30 but which setting is best? Is it on Synthetics, Acrylics, Silks or Cotton? I can do variable temp on my machine, so even though Cotton for example comes on at 40, I can reduce it to 30.

So far I have done everything on Synthetics and I never wash my red gear with the black. Well not since the last time... as the white shoulder straps are now grey :biggrin:

I have a long sleeve and short sleeve Helly Hanson base layer and they say 60, so get washed separate to the rest.

To complicate matters even more, I have just treated myself to the new Specialized bib shorts, which are like wearing a 2nd skin and very comfy (a tad pricey though). The material on these is 85% Tactel (?) and 15% Lycra. It says Machine Was Cold on the label :sad:

All these different materials and instructions are not good for a single bloke you know xx(

I know fabric conditioner is a no no, but what about the brand of washing powder? I have always used Surf, can not use anything strong like Ariel as it irritates my skin.

Yet another long message from the lonesome_rider but any comments are much appreciated :smile:

Gazza.

dodgy

Wash your cycling kit on as low a temperature as you can get away with. You'll know you're getting away with it if your kit is clean and most importantly, not smelly.

Dave.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

dodgy said:
Wash your cycling kit on as low a temperature as you can get away with. You'll know you're getting away with it if your kit is clean and most importantly, not smelly.

Dave.
But what setting Dave.... shall I stick with Synthetics?

dodgy

Mrs Dodgy puts mine on 30 degs, apparently the temperature which is optimal for the biological stuff we use.

Dave.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Being totally sad now. This is why I am asking on the right material setting.

washersettings.jpg

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Ahhh, I was using Synthetics. Operation Silks is a go then :biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
Mrs MB says the silk option or you could use the wool option as its a nice delicate setting. More importantly use a nice soap powder/liquid woolite if you can afford it.

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

mondobongo said:
Mrs MB says the silk option or you could use the wool option as its a nice delicate setting. More importantly use a nice soap powder/liquid woolite if you can afford it.
Got my red kit in now on Silk, with a small amount of Surf.

Top Bottom