1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by skinny man0903, 17 Jan 2008.

1. Between an NCN route and a by way.
    Sorry for the stupid question

2. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

NCN is "National Cycle Network" which is a Sustrans (spit.. spit) 'thing' An NCN may include on-road non-segregated route, on-road segregated, off-road shared with peds... Frequently to get from A to B you have to go via R, E, I, G, X, C and then Z. Personally I find we have an excellent cycling network already in existance in the UK, called 'roads' and I don't require an NCN to get where I'm wanting to go.

A Byway concerns more right of way, there are two types:-

BOAT (Byway Open To All Traffic) these allow the use of wheeled vehicles (all kinds, I think) and is normally used for walking or horse riding. Driving of off-road type vehicles for recreational purposes often happens along BOATs and is a contentious issue in many areas due to the BOATs being wrecked, as they are unsurfaced and the off-road vehciles can churn them up to render them just about unpassable.

Then there's Restricted Byways, as under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. These allow a right of way on foot, on horseback (or leading a horse, I think), cycling and for any vehicles BUT NOT motorised ones.

The above is with the proviso that I am not a lawyer etc., etc.

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

NCN routes tend to have lots of trees growing in the middle of them and random 'cyclists dismount' signs.

Have a look at the Warrington Cycle Campaign site for a worrying laugh. Scroll down for the archive. Plenty of NCN paths featured there.