What's the etiquette before passing someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Is it considered polite to announce yourself if drafting/before overtaking?

I usually give a quick "Morning, mind I hang on your tail for a bit?", but have startled a couple of riders recently.

When passing, it seems polite to swap some kind of pleasantry: "Nice/lousy day for it." etc as appropriate, but on reflection wonder if this sounds a bit smug or pompous, like I'm rubbing it in that they're being passed.

Personally I find it a bit unsettling to hear another bike sat on my tail without knowing their intention; and a bit offhand to be overtaken without some kind of acknowledgement.

What does Debrett's say on the matter?

twobiker

Usually just say "Allright" when passed ,but as I only tend to pass people with stabilizers I say nothing, dangerous to talk to kids you don't know.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
My normal way is to say .. "Passing on your right" .. then when upsides say .. Morning / Afternoon / Evening (depending on the time of day) .. pull ahead and say .. Thank you .. after passing ... no matter what you say or do, you'll find some people in their own little world and will still be startled when you pass or say anything.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'll only say something if i know them or if I am out in the sticks. I would spend my whole time chatting if i did it on my commute.

byegad

Legendary Member
Whatever you do don't get right on their shoulder then shout! I have a couple of regulars who do this to me on my local rides. If I were on two wheels they'd run the risk of me swerving into them, as it is on my trike I merely jump. I'm sure they do it on purpose.

A hail of some kind from a few yards back is fine it's the voice in my ear that startles me every damn time. I usually see them coming in my mirrors but now and again they sneak in without being seen, and I jump.

Jonathing

Über Member
I usually attempt a cheery "Morning" whatever the time of day. But as I'm usually working all out just to get past them it seems to come out as "Murrrgh...!" which doesn't have quite the same effect.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What is this concept of passing people you talk about? :biggrin:

Wades

Normally I use an overly cheery Brian Blessed-esque voice and a huge Mornin' or 'afternoon!

The only time I didn't was about 3 months ago before I had the road bike. I was closing in on a roadie on my MTB and went for it as we climbed up and over a long motorway bridge. Went past him at a fair rate or knots and gave him the sideways sneer ( I know he'd probably just done LEJOG or something but that didn't matter at the time) and on the descent promptly dumped by chain off the front ring and had to suffer the smuggest grin I've ever seen as he went past never to be seen again. I felt like a complete XXXX.

Never been like that before and will never be like it again.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Normally I use an overly cheery Brian Blessed-esque voice and a huge Mornin' or 'afternoon!

The only time I didn't was about 3 months ago before I had the road bike. I was closing in on a roadie on my MTB and went for it as we climbed up and over a long motorway bridge. Went past him at a fair rate or knots and gave him the sideways sneer ( I know he'd probably just done LEJOG or something but that didn't matter at the time) and on the descent promptly dumped by chain off the front ring and had to suffer the smuggest grin I've ever seen as he went past never to be seen again. I felt like a complete XXXX.

Never been like that before and will never be like it again.

Karma has a wicked sense of humour :biggrin: ;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think cyclists that dont say anything then scrape past inches from you are worse than drivers that do the same thing.

On a sportive or something fair enough but out on the lonely road theres no excuse.

Speak or dont speak but give folk a little room.

Top Bottom