What's the general rule on removing helmets in shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bechants

I've just started cycling to work and being new to the whole cycling experience, have not stopped off yet en-route. This might be a stupid question but is there a general rule for removing your bike helmet when going into a shop like Tesco Express? I know motorcyclists have to remove full-face helmets at garages etc, but is is the same for cyclists? Thanks :smile:

the snail

Guru
A gentleman should always remove his hat when indoors!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Since a cycle helmet doesn't hide your face, I can see no reason why it would be necessary to remove it.

As a motorcyclist too, it really annoys me that SOME petrol stations insist on helmet removal. What purpose does it serve? I have asked that on occassions and the best they can come up with is that it is "for the safety of staff"!! So if I am in to rob the place, am I going to remove my helmet when asked? Errr....

It may sound petty to object but I can assure you that it is not pleasant on a cold wet day, having to remove not only the helmet but also glasses and thermal balaclava (and probably ear-plugs too), just to put the damp items back on again 2 minutes later. Just so that they can see my face. They have already authorized the pump to dispense fuel so the "we need to know you are 16 years old or over" thing doesn't wash either. Would they ask a Muslim women to remove her headdress?

Fran143

Über Member
I always remove my helmet before going into shops....more of a comfort thing for me. I always always take of my motorbike helmet when going into garages....normally for the sake of being able to converse with the assistant and because I usually need to use the "facilities" again, dinnae think it'd be comfy with a helmet on.:whistle:

C

chillyuk

I used to remove my motorcycle helmet when asked, but the signs never mentioned balaclavas, and this I refused to remove. As I would normally have my fuel at this point it became their problem not mine. I have never had a problem with a cycle helmet.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1331126"]
There has actually been a spate of robberies in the UK lately.

And I take my hats off to them as it's almost the perfect crime. You can turn up on the bike wearing a helmet and sunglasses (standard cyclist wear) and no-one will bat an eyelid. From here on in the people involved are holding up the petrol stations with a banana (looking like a gun) in their Gore jacket and them making off with a couple of hundred quid and a box of flapjacks for good measure.

They can then make a good getaway running red lights and cycling the wrong way up one way streets as this is standard cyclist behaviour.

Hope the bastards get caught though - it's cyclists like this that give other cyclists a bad name.

In short OP - take your helmet off people entering into said premises.

[/quote]

All well and good; BUT are would be robbers really going to abandon their plans when asked to remove their helmet and glasses? I think not.......

I agree on the politeness thing, but also I tend to perspire like billy-o for about 2 minutes after stopping cycling, so removing the helmet is beneficial for me too.

A helmet is a good handbasket for one or two light items - another plus for removing it entering a shop

Cap or hood usually comes off too when entering anywhere...it's just one of those automatic things

buggi

Bird Saviour
When you put it like that, yes it's stupid to ask someone to remove their helmet. like you say, it's not gonna make any difference if you're gonna rob the place.

Safety of staff??? surely it's more unsafe for the staff to see the Robbers face? surely that will only result in them getting killed?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Research has shown that, in 63% of robberies, the wearing of helmets and balaclavas carries an increased risk of injury....

Yeah but in Australia when for health and safety reasons they made it compulsory for robbers to wear helmets they found no decrease in the number or severity of injuries to robbers during robberies.

Queenslands Minister for health said "Since Ned Kelly Australia has a long and proud tradition of helmet wearing during robberies , if foreigners wish to settle here they should adapt to our customs and keep their helmets on".

asterix

Comrade Member
Just don't wear a helmet then you won't have to worry.

Anyway, WRT hats and indoors, a shop is not 'indoors'.

[font="""]
[font="""]When a man removes his hat

A man should remove his hat upon entering a home, church, office, restaurant or movie theater. There are some exceptions to the “hats off indoors” rule: the hat does not need to be removed in some public buildings (the post office, airport, etc.), on public transportation and at athletic events. A man does not remove his hat in places where he does not seat himself, such as markets, grocery stores or shops. He also should keep his hat on in places through which he is passing, such as the halls and elevators of buildings or standing bars and coffee shops.

However, if and when he seats himself, he takes off his hat. Also, when a well dressed lady enters the elevator, he briefly removes his hat as a compliment to her. [/font]
[/font]

jugglingphil

I normally remove helmet and then attach it simply to bike.

It could easily be robbed, but if someone wants me cheap (smelly?!) helmet, they must be desperate!
Never been stolen yet! I don't have the inconvenience of carrying the helmet everywhere I go.

Reactions: gbb

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Depends what else I have in my hands - if my hands are going to be full with shopping, purse etc, I just leave my helmet on. Never been queried for a cycle helmet although I was in a shop near here once when a motorcyclist (helmet on, hands full) was told he wouldn't be served unless he took his helmet off. He just dumped his groceries on the bench and walked out.

Top Bottom