What's the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SmileyBoots

Über Member
I've been commuting by bike for several years and started a new job in March this year. Firm was in an old victorian bulding and there was lots of little rooms to store the folder and clothes.

However today is the first day in the new purpose built offices. No cycle parking facilities, no showers, no changing area, no spare rooms.

Got changed this morning in the disabled toilet as its the only place big enough and hid the clothes away at the top of the fire-escape stairwell (which nodody would access unless there was a fire)

I've just received an email informing me that I should not use the disabled toilet anymore but must use the normal toilet and that I must pack away my sweaty clothes in a bag. I'm just waiting for the second email objecting to my bike being parked outside in the bin-compound.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I live in Derby, one of the cycling demo towns. I'm really encoraged.

spindrift

A mate pays £50 a month just to use the showers in a gym near his office.

domtyler

Über Member
Doesn't sound like they want to encourage their staff to cycle to work, in fact they are going out of their way to discourage it. Maybe confirm the anti-cycling policy with HR?

Your choices are to:
1) Stay and fight for facilities.
2) Leave and get a new job.
3) Stop cycling and start driving to work.

OP
OP
SmileyBoots

SmileyBoots

Über Member
Thanks Dom,
I've been getting closer to options 2 for a while - not just over the cycling issues but I this has finally made my mind up for me.

gazzaputt

I've just received an email informing me that I should not use the disabled toilet anymore but must use the normal toilet and that I must pack away my sweaty clothes in a bag.

WTF??? Why the hell are they taking that stance?

domtyler

Über Member
SmileyBoots said:
Thanks Dom,
I've been getting closer to options 2 for a while - not just over the cycling issues but I this has finally made my mind up for me.

Sounds like a good choice to me, just make sure you have something else lined up before wrapping a D lock around your managers head! :sad:

GrahamG

Guru
That's appalling for a new build - the blame there lies with the local planning authority who should be insisting on this sort of thing being included in new infrastructure.

domtyler

Über Member
GrahamG said:
That's appalling for a new build - the blame there lies with the local planning authority who should be insisting on this sort of thing being included in new infrastructure.

It was in the initial plans but it soon became apparent that by the time the luxury underground car-park had been installed there would be no budget left.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Is there anyone disabled there ?

At one place I contracted at, they even said use the disabled loo - much more room. Normal loos are almost out of the question - not much space, although I've often had to do that.

I'd have a chat concerning somewhere to put clothes to air - even a couple of hours in a bag and your kit smells terrible - and thats sweat off a clean body, and clean clothes....

As for clothes - can you rig a line and hangers up under your desk and hang the stuff there and use a desk fan under - worked for me - just.

Have a chat about how cycling unfriendly it all is, and that you really need somewhere to get changed properly and leave clothes.

Your bike parking may become a problem....

nilling

Über Member
Never experienced problems like these in any of the the places I have commuted. Are you the only cyclist?

Try getting changed in the 'normal' loos - flannel washing in the sink, walking around in just lycra shorts and wet cycling gear lying around - I'm sure will see a change of heart :sad:

Let us know how you get on?

OP
OP
SmileyBoots

SmileyBoots

Über Member
Thanks for your support on this. I've cooled down a bit now.
Refering to Batzman's comment... the only shower at the new office is in the board room.
I am the only cyclist and I think I am also the oldest person there. There are no disabled staff so I can see no reason for the attitude.

hackbike 6

Been where I work for almost twenty years.No showers in all that time.

We got our own bike racks last year after years of grief and purges by the "management".

Didd't help though with some "clowns" parking bikes badly at the botom of the stairwells.

SmileyBoots said:
Thanks for your support on this. I've cooled down a bit now.
Refering to Batzman's comment... the only shower at the new office is in the board room.
I am the only cyclist and I think I am also the oldest person there. There are no disabled staff so I can see no reason for the attitude.

Some people are just awkward jobs bodies, I've had a similar experience recently, with something as simple as leaving my bike lock in the cycle locker (didn't want to carry it to and from work)

Top Bottom