Whats the right difference in height between saddle and handlebar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudigrinfeld

I try to figure out what will be the better position between the height of the saddle vs the handlebars. I tried all kinds of combinations but I didn't get a solid understanding of what will be the best one. In most of them I felt pretty the same in terms of comfort. Anyone there would know to tell what the common range of different between the two?

jim55

Guru
does it really matter what the recc thing is?its just a guide ,do whats right for you and just dont bother ,mine is about (just looking at it,never measured it) 3 inches below the tip of my saddle ,some peeps have lots of seatpost showing and a slammed stem ,i dont think it matters:smile:

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I went for a bike fit yesterday morning and from the measurements that came back it all depends on what style of riding you are going for, I ride a cyclocross bike so got my results for off road cyclocross and also road racing comfort, the fitting system used was through bikefitting.com. The results for cyclocross suggested a drop of 77mm whilst the road racing comfort suggested a drop of 24mm but this takes into account of your specific measurements i.e. inseam, torso length, arm length shoe size etc and alsogives the optimum fram size for your particular body sizing. Cost me £40 for my bike fit and took approx an hour with quite a bit of fettling with my bike as its not the recomended size for my body, when it comes to buying my next bike will defo take these measurements into account

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It really depends on the geometry and style of bike. You need to ensure the height of the saddle is correct, so you don't screw up your knees. Bar height can (possibly) be adjusted to suit, thereafter :smile:

OP
OP
dudigrinfeld

dudigrinfeld

I went for a bike fit yesterday morning and from the measurements that came back it all depends on what style of riding you are going for, I ride a cyclocross bike so got my results for off road cyclocross and also road racing comfort, the fitting system used was through bikefitting.com. The results for cyclocross suggested a drop of 77mm whilst the road racing comfort suggested a drop of 24mm but this takes into account of your specific measurements i.e. inseam, torso length, arm length shoe size etc and alsogives the optimum fram size for your particular body sizing. Cost me £40 for my bike fit and took approx an hour with quite a bit of fettling with my bike as its not the recomended size for my body, when it comes to buying my next bike will defo take these measurements into account
do you ride bigger size frame or smaller to your body?

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
so in your riding position you suppose to look down and can't see the front hub?

Yep that's it. Can't check my own as I'm in work at the mo, the advice came from a free DVD on the front of a cycle mag

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The front hub "rule" is more of a stem/frame size thing rather than a bar height thing, I think. The front hub can be obscured for a whole heap of bar heights.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
P3180076.JPG
do you ride bigger size frame or smaller to your body?
My frame is bigger than recomended as my inseam is shorter than averageand therefore a slightly longer torso, what I really need to suit my body is a frame with a short seat tube but a long top tube and also slightly shorter crank arms.
Above is my recomended frame for road race comfort fit, I'm 5'7"

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You can use as many mathmatical equations as you like but personally I think it is a very personal thing.

I am 5`9 and have had lots of bikes, but non I was 100% with. I then tried a TREK Lexa SL and it fits perfectly. Oddly enough it is designed for women....no funnys here ^_^. I am not sure what they did to make it specific for women but it feels like the crossbar could be a smideon shorter, as I sit up more.

You just have to go out and adjust it bit by bit until you are happy with it.

Steve

lulubel

Über Member
I am 5`9 and have had lots of bikes, but non I was 100% with. I then tried a TREK Lexa SL and it fits perfectly. Oddly enough it is designed for women....no funnys here ^_^. I am not sure what they did to make it specific for women but it feels like the crossbar could be a smideon shorter, as I sit up more.

You're absolutely right. The top tube on the Trek Lexa is quite short, which is giving you a more sat up position.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The front hub "rule" is more of a stem/frame size thing rather than a bar height thing, I think. The front hub can be obscured for a whole heap of bar heights.

in my case, getting a shorter stem put me in compliance with the front hub rule... whether it's bs or not i don't know, but it's certainly a more comfy ride with the shorter stem

Top Bottom