Whats your steed :?:

Whats you steed :?:

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
All steel here.

beancounter

As per my signature I have one of everything, except full carbon.

This will hopefully be rectified in the next couple of months when I order a Colnago C50 as my next C2W bike.

bc

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Ridley Pegasus sharp angled aluminium - the stiffest bike frame I have ever ridden and an absolute delight on a nice bit of flat tarmac. Bucking bronco on normal surfaces though!

Davidc

Guru
At the moment its an aluminium mtb, which was fairly cheap.

When I can get my hands on a steel tourer that I can afford the mtb will become the around town, shopping, and canal towpath bike - everything else will be on the steel steed.

I will NEVER buy an aluminium framed bike again UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I'd never ridden aluminium before this bike. It felt OK on the smooth tarmac near the bike shop! Since then I've tried a couple more Al framed bikes, including a hired one over some distance. All give a stiff, hard, uncomfortable ride, made worse by any suspension. I have nothing good to say about aluminium. My conclusion - Al is the least appropriate material yet tried for making a bike frame. There is nothing to recommend it. Before anyone says weight just remember that the important parameter is mass per unit tensile strength, on which basis steel is MUCH lighter (or would be if aluminium bikes were built to anything over half the strength of steel ones!)

beancounter

Fnaar said:
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I have 2 alu bikes (mtb and roadie) and I love riding both of them.

Couldn't agree with you more.

The other poster damns all aluminium frames on the basis of a cheap mtb. Not very bright.

bc

Davidc

Guru
The hired bike certainly wasn't cheap, and I had 2 weeks to get used to it. It was the best aluminium I've ridden.

If you like the ride from aluminium - fine, use it. It'll be a sad day when we can't choose between what's available. I don't and I won't be buying it again.

I'd love to try the bamboo frame. The last price I saw was £3000 which makes it rather unlikely though.

Davidc

Guru
tyred said:
What happens if a bamboo bike gets wet? Surely there is a danger of it warping.

There are loads of structures made of bamboo in the far east, and it's known to be very strong and durable. I suspect it all depends how it's cured and prepared. (The bamboos we all use in the garden probably aren't good examples!)

Top Bottom