1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel building course

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Pottsy, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Pottsy

Pottsy ...

Hi.

Has anyone been on a wheel building course? One they could recommend or even let me know if there's one that they wouldn't.

I'm in SW London but I'm happy to travel a reasonable distance.

Thanks.

2. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

Would you settle for an e-book on the subject? This is really good value. http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

The wheels I built with it are still true several large potholes and 150 miles later.

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I think Goo Mason has been on the Edinburgh Bke Co-Op one (not sure if you have a branch near enough to you).

I'd second Greg's recommendation for Roger Musson's book - really very good, and includes plans to build truing stand from scrap timber.

The wheels I built with it have done some 2,000 miles plus, commuting & touring.

4. PpPete

PpPete Guru

Thirded...

5. monkeypony

monkeypony Active Member

We run a 3 day Wheel building course. May well be just what you're after if you can get out as far as Aylesbury.

6. OP
    OP
    Pottsy

Pottsy ...

Thanks all. I'll have a look at that book.

monkeypony - I'll check out the dates and have a think about that option, 3 days is a bit more than I expected!

7. OP
    OP
    Pottsy

Pottsy ...

Thanks - looks perfect. I have friends in Oxford who I visit occasionally so this could tie-in nicely.

8. pshore

pshore Well-Known Member