Wheel upgrade? Is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My strong suggestion (as posted by others) is that before you worry about wheels, start with the tyres. I honestly think that changing from cheap stock tyres can make far more of as difference than changing wheels. Having said that I have just splashed out on some carbon hoops and am loving them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are you saying that for instance the £250 Cero AR24 I posted wouldn't make an improvement?
No I'm not saying that - they are better wheels, and I'm glad that you're enjoying riding your set. The review you linked to says "The Cero AR24 is a solid, no-nonsense wheelset that's a good first upgrade choice for low- to mid-range bikes, or as year-round pothole-bashing, slurry-fording commuter/trainer wheels." So how much an improvement do you think they would make? OP has Fulcrum 77s (according to the spec to which he linked - rebranded 7s) @1750g - so the CERO AR24s will save him ~250g (see earlier posts about rider plus bike weight reductions).
I suggested better tyres but he has Continental Ultra Sport 2 tyres (ie not "cheap stock tyres"). Those tyres are not bad (albeit with minimal puncture protection).

Andrew_P

In between here and there
No I'm not saying that - they are better wheels, and I'm glad that you're enjoying riding your set. The review you linked to says "The Cero AR24 is a solid, no-nonsense wheelset that's a good first upgrade choice for low- to mid-range bikes, or as year-round pothole-bashing, slurry-fording commuter/trainer wheels." So how much an improvement do you think they would make? OP has Fulcrum 77s (according to the spec to which he linked - rebranded 7s) @1750g - so the CERO AR24s will save him ~250g (see earlier posts about rider plus bike weight reductions).
I suggested better tyres but he has Continental Ultra Sport 2 tyres (ie not "cheap stock tyres"). Those tyres are not bad (albeit with minimal puncture protection).
You are reply to a question with a question I reeally not arguing but I asked you the question as you seem to know, so will they improve his ride or not?
Edited
oops didn't see the first bit. For £250 I think they would be very good value to be honest. Two new tyres are £60 I personally would go for wheels.

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My wheel collection
As I said in my first post I felt a difference going from cheap to mid range wheels but I think to see much difference on branded wheels after 350-400 you would have to spend fortunes. .
But you get to keep the wheels when you upgrade the bike so spending that bit extra is worth it IMHO . The same can be said for saddles , helmets , shoes etc . Buying cheap upgrades is a waste of money .

Andrew_P

In between here and there
My wheel collection

But you get to keep the wheels when you upgrade the bike so spending that bit extra is worth it IMHO . The same can be said for saddles , helmets , shoes etc . Buying cheap upgrades is a waste of money .
It is relative though you wouldn't throw £800 wheels at £650 bike, £250-300. Not because the bike is crap but it would make more sense to spend that on a frame, etc. Its endless. Again you do some competing so I can see value in squeezing as much as you are willing to pay for an improvement, I don't compete I didn't think the Zero's were any better than the 3's overall. If anything they were worse as not sealed cartridge hub. Plus it was used for commuting so little OTT! But hey I enjoyed it. Those AR24 so far good, no worse from my perception and I normally spend decent money on cycling stuff, in fact my toes curl how much I have spent.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It is relative though you wouldn't throw £800 wheels at £650 bike, £250-300. Not because the bike is crap but it would make more sense to spend that on a frame, etc. Its endless. Again you do some competing so I can see value in squeezing as much as you are willing to pay for an improvement, I don't compete I didn't think the Zero's were any better than the 3's overall. If anything they were worse as not sealed cartridge hub. Plus it was used for commuting so little OTT! But hey I enjoyed it. Those AR24 so far good, no worse from my perception and I normally spend decent money on cycling stuff, in fact my toes curl how much I have spent.
It depends how you think i guess . If you are commuting then no i wouldn't buy expensive wheels but i have thrown a 1k wheel set on a £650 bike . Its had more expensive wheels on it and cheaper wheels depending on what i am doing .
If this thread is about pimping you bike up to a price point then fair enough but buying very good wheels will never be a waste of money .

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
My strong suggestion (as posted by others) is that before you worry about wheels, start with the tyres. I honestly think that changing from cheap stock tyres can make far more of as difference than changing wheels. Having said that I have just splashed out on some carbon hoops and am loving them.
I've ordered some Continental GP 4 S. Cheers

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Thanks. I've ordered a set of Continental GP 4 so I'll see how they perform. I do think the CERO AR24s look to be good value though so I think I'll bear those in mind if I do decide to upgrade me wheels.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
You are reply to a question with a question I reeally not arguing but I asked you the question as you seem to know, so will they improve his ride or not?
Edited
oops didn't see the first bit. For £250 I think they would be very good value to be honest. Two new tyres are £60 I personally would go for wheels.
I do need tyres too, but I do think the wheels are good value. Cheers

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
My wheel collection

Agreed. I've bought some cheap clothing in the past and then regretted it. I guess with bike upgrades it's a question of balance.

OP
OP
A

altecsole

Regular
Many thanks for all the comments to my original question.

I read that wheels are one area where manufacturers save money, after all I guess that most people look at chain sets and frames before anything else, so I thought that it would be a worthwhile upgrade. It's interesting that the bulk of the replies suggest this isn't the case, but I still might be tempted, especially by the CERO AR24s which do look very good value. The saving on these from my original Mavic choice would be significant.

I actually think I managed to get a pretty well rounded spec bike for the money (£799) when I bought it, which was far more by good luck than judgement at the time. I'll definitely be better informed when I do come to upgrade or buy new and that's definitely been influenced by this forum. Cheers to you all.

Top Bottom