wheel weight ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
whats a good and a bad weight for complete wheels (tyres and tubes fitted)?
i was changing mine tnt ,and weighed them on a scale for cooking !!!(not a digital one so its kinda hard to get an exact number )the front wheel that came on the bike was 1.6 kilo ,and the wheel i put on was 1.3 ,is this any good ?some expensive ones are really light but iv no idea how much they weigh ,.
iv seen (i think )some wheelsets at roughly 1800 grammes or roundabout ,is this for both ?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Imho assuming 700c road or 26" xc only front wheels are light below ~700g, while you need to add ~150g for rear to account for the freehub. Going below these weights and you will generally be talking about prices that can buy fairly decent bikes.

Tyres can weigh from under 200g to 1kg a piece depending on application, 100g tubes are light. Standard skewers are around 55g a piece, you can buy Ti ones weighing less than half.

But everybody has a different idea of what is light, like how light is skinny.

Like speakers for hifi, imho tyres are where the rubber meets the road... :becool:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i put some shimano r500's on my bike recently

Front 839 grammes + tyre and tubes 400 grammes
rear 1025 grammes + cassette, tyre and tubes 625 grammes

so thats 2.9kilo - my originals were 3k without the tyres and tubes fitted.

I've just put new Planet X Model B wheels on the Kinesis and according to the blurb the 2 wheels are 1.758kg (705g front, 948g rear & 105g skewers) and the 2 tyres are 470g and just looking at tubes weigh about 75-110g each depending how much you spend. So I guess a descent weight would be around 2.5kg or less for 2 wheels (1.25kg for one). At the end of the day its how much you want to pay though, the planet x wheels seemed to offer the best cost to weight ratio for me.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've just put new Planet X Model B wheels on the Kinesis and according to the blurb the 2 wheels are 1.758kg (705g front, 948g rear & 105g skewers) and the 2 tyres are 470g and just looking at tubes weigh about 75-110g each depending how much you spend. So I guess a descent weight would be around 2.5kg or less for 2 wheels (1.25kg for one). At the end of the day its how much you want to pay though, the planet x wheels seemed to offer the best cost to weight ratio for me.

i really liked the planet x wheels - but managed to get the r500's for £70 from merlin and my budget was pretty tight

Top Bottom