When cyclists attack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

You can watch the full video here, which shows the background of the incident.

I started out by me asking him to let me past on the track. He kept saying yes but wouldn't give me a space. He was holding me up pretty badly. Trail etiquette says you pull over to let faster riders by.
I was polite at first, but then got less polite as he refused to stop, but I certainly wasn't asking to be attacked. I never swore or abused him, just basically said he was inconsiderate.
At the end of the track I told him he was rude for not letting me past, that set him off. You can see how it unfolded in the video. He tried to strangle me with my helmet while he was trying to steal my camera, and when I started yelling for help he put his hand over my nose and mouth. It was like he'd done it before. I was getting pretty fearful for my life by that stage so I did the only thing I could do without letting go of the camera, bit down on his finger. That got his hand away. After a bit more struggling I managed to get up to the road where I yelled for help, another cyclist came over. The assailant started say I was assaulting him, and the cyclist seemed to be taking his side. I got my stuff and got the fark outta there.
I rolled down the road and spoke to a couple other guys at the car park, they said I should ring the police, so I got my phone out and that's when the guy showed up again, so that's when I took a photo. He was still after my camera/me to delete the video, but that wasn't gonna happen. He then tried to get the other two guys I was with to turn on me, by saying I assaulted him and showing them his finger. I was just like, if you didn't assault me, what was your finger doing in my mouth.
At some point along the way he'd managed to stop the video from recording, so that's why the video stops part way through. There was probably about three times longer of him attacking me.

Nearly there

Veteran
A proper nut job when you passed him how did he get in front of you again

Each party was fully deserving of the love and affection he received from the other.

One gets the impression that both are strangers to the regular company of humankind.

'Johnny Victim' is a little schoolmarmish and unpleasant in his hectoring (not in any way connected to knowing he is recording it, I'm sure).

'Johnny Handbags' is petty in twice ensuring that he gets (or stays) in front. Also rather quick to resort to handbags.

That both are half a planet from me will increase my pleasure and lessen my anxiety next time I'm out on an MTB.

Not wishing to generalise, but every Kiwi (many, many) I've met or worked with to date has been nothing like either of these chaps.

A fun piece of video, but neither party comes out of it even close to well. Odd that 'Johnny Victim' posted it.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That was terrible. Shame the camera seemed to get turned off.

BTW for you who dont know how he got in front: The section of track where he stopped first, he cut a corner out, the cam cyclist went around the correct way. And then caught up to him again.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A proper nut job when you passed him how did he get in front of you again
It's not Gaz... unless Gaz has moved from Croydon to NZ.

How he got in front? I did wonder that myself.

You can also hear the video chap say that he will run the guy in front off the track. That sure didn't help matters.
That was terrible. Shame the camera seemed to get turned off.

BTW for you who dont know how he got in front: The section of track where he stopped first, he cut a corner out, the cam cyclist went around the correct way. And then caught up to him again.
For those asking how he got back in front.
At that section of track, it looped back around. The guy in front took a sharp left when the track actually loops around, aka. he cut the course.

snorri

Legendary Member
He probably wanted to use the money from the amount of views he knows he will get as some form of compensation.

I'm not sufficiently interested to watch it, but are you telling me people get payment for posting amateur videos on the internet?

lukesdad

All part of a good days MTBing. I had my arm bit in one XC race and seen fistycuffs and bikes used as weapons in many others. As Bill Shankly once said when told its not life and death, " Its far more important than that ! " ^_^

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm not sufficiently interested to watch it, but are you telling me people get payment for posting amateur videos on the internet?
If you choose to put adverts on your videos, you will get some money everytime an add is clicked. The amount is tiny though so you need a lot of people to click on them to make any sort of money.

The big youtubers (none of them cyclists) make a living off of the videos they make.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you choose to put adverts on your videos, you will get some money everytime an add is clicked. The amount is tiny though so you need a lot of people to click on them to make any sort of money.

The big youtubers (none of them cyclists) make a living off of the videos they make.

And who out there clicks on those bloody annoying ads?
Bit annoyed that people do go down this route to make a few sheckles. It's very annoying.. that goes for you too Gaz..:thumbsup:

Top Bottom