when do the French campsites start to close ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I heard they tend to shut down at some point...so If (erm...for arguments sake:biggrin:) I was in france from 15/8 to 1/9 would I have any issue with sites being shut?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The second half of August is fine. The earliest the ones in the high mountains close is first September. A load of less busy ones then close around the middle of September, with a many more at the end.

However exactly when in September does depend a little on how good a season they've had and how keen they are to go on their own hols. But it's never before the first.

yello

Some municipals are open year round... well, year round ish... and they might not have all facilities open, like showers... and hot water... Still, it's a place to pitch the tent! :tongue:

asterix

Comrade Member
Try good old yellow pages!

Some results have date ranges - usually up to 15th Sept. As Yello says, it's possible to use the municipals when they're not open just to pitch the tent and get tap water but it's a dreich end to the day if you have to have cold shower:sad:

i have found most are open till the end of september (something like october 10th ) - although difficult when you arrive at them to believe they are open - lady or gent in morning comes round to collect the money and do the registering - it works on a special tax relief thing if they are only open 6 months - more than a few open toute anni especially as you get further south - I have toured later in dordougne and beenable to find camping

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I heard they tend to shut down at some point...so If (erm...for arguments sake:biggrin:) I was in france from 15/8 to 1/9 would I have any issue with sites being shut?

Fill in any gaps with wild camping.

mcr

Veteran
This site lists opening dates:

http://www.campingfrance.com/index.jsp?lg=uk

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..i want to ride across france, but I want a new bike. I can thave both. France is less appealing given tyh ecarp weathr right now...and because I dont have a ride partner for the trip....but th elonger it takes to find a new bike the more inclined I am to just go.

...thing is right now my wrist is strapped up and still not to good after a fall i took in meersburg, i thought it was just a sprain but it's taking to long to heal...i may get an x ray.

Top Bottom