When is a girl not a girl?

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Phaeton, 12 Aug 2018.

1. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

A member was grammatically pulled up by @jefmcg https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycling-laws-to-be-overhauled.238603/page-3#post-5346740 over his (I think) use of the word "Girl" which begs the question in the PC world when does a Girl cease to become a Girl (grammatically not biologically)?

To me this seems like another one of those situations where females can use the G word, just like Afro Americans can use the N word, I have a black American friend who personally hates the term Afro American more than the N word, as he says he's American & has no ties to Africa.

Andy in Germany and Milzy like this.
  2. PC world? Most of them have been rebadged as Currys.

3. BSOh

BSOh Senior Member

When you are referring to someone who has passed adolescence and is an adult then they are a woman not a girl. It's pretty straightforward.

Milzy, FishFright and CrinklyLion like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

You ask for a discussion & then don't want one, you appear to just like to cause disruption, seems to be some form of attention seeking, which is a shame as some of your points are valid.

Pat "5mph", Milzy and Brandane like this.
  5. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

More or less what jefmcg said in the other thread. Referring to grown women as girls can cause offence. IIRC diversity policy at work suggests woman/women or female.

Mostly about context. Women who are OK with being 'girls' socially might reasonably be offended if term was used professionally and with a hint of the pejorative.

Pat "5mph", Milzy, srw and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Actually no I don't think it it as, as somebody has already pointed out, women go on Girls weekends, the Girls at work who may well be 30, 40, 50 of age plus is acceptable as well, some people seem to take exception for exception sake.

Pat "5mph", Milzy, Pale Rider and 2 others like this.
  7. BSOh

BSOh Senior Member

Its the same as the word boy. Its acceptable for someone to say they had a night out with the boys. But if someone called an adult male boy in another situation it could also be considered unacceptable. Its not taking exception for exceptions sake, its using the correct term in the correct social situation.

Pat "5mph", Milzy and Beebo like this.
  8. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

And black people call each other by the N word but that doesn't make it ok for you to do the same.

Context , it's all about the context

downesy, AndyRM, Milzy and 1 other person like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

People were/are brought up at different times, things that were acceptable once no longer are, seat belts, smoking, calling people names like moron, spaz , homo etc. but when they were the norm when you were brought up sometimes they may still slip out, I agree somebody should be brought to task if used on a regular basis. But it appears some people seem to take delight in trawling every post looking for the infractions.

10. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

It can be a burden to have a conscience .....

Dirk likes this.
  11. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Depends on the culture, anyone down here under the age of thirty is referred to as a girl or boy.

12. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

13. I actually said that I didn't want a debate, but offered to join a discussion if you started a new thread. That was a genuine offer, but then you started talking about political correctness, which is such a cowards term to hide behind, I am afraid I lost the will.

Anyway, the question has been pretty well answered. I particularly like @BSOh's response: use it where you'd use "boy" eg
    "boy's night", "little boy's room", "just us boys" ok

"the boy on the radio talking about cycle safety, I think his name was Chris Boardman" :eek:

swansonj, srw and BSOh like this.
  14. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

Not in Devon, it wouldn't.;)

Dave 123, matiz and Fab Foodie like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Precisely, around here there are plenty of old boys & girls, Old boy down the pub, Old girl who lives around the corner, the old lass on the counter in the shop, none of these are derogatory to them, it's language, none London centric language.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice