When is a hill a hill?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
or merely a climb, or a slope?

What level of elevation over what sort of distance constitutes are real hill?

The unit of measure we could use to describe hills is the "Beacon" which is equivalent to a climb of roughly 150m over 1.5 km....

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Using the standard OS map chevrons? One chevron = A hill (14% to 20%) Two chevrons = A climb (20% +) ??

colly

Re member eR
Difficult, maybe it depends on the local terrain.
In the flatlands around York/Hull a hump back bridge will seem like a hill.
OTOH If you go on one of Colinj's rides out of Hebden Bridge anything less than 1k at 14% you would barely notice. Almost.

If you puff and pant to get up it, it is a hill, if you have to stop half way up, it is a mountain. It is a fact that as you get older you find far more mountains and hills.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I have to go up a really steep hill to get out of where I live,its only short but I power up it no problem

About 1/2 way round my "keep fit route" there is a long straight road about 3/4 mile long that you would think was flat but has a slight incline from start to finish and I hate that road as I'm knackered at the end of it

So for me a hill is anything with an incline above flat ^_^

or merely a climb, or a slope?

What level of elevation over what sort of distance constitutes are real hill?

The unit of measure we could use to describe hills is the "Beacon" which is equivalent to a climb of roughly 150m over 1.5 km....

Although I'd say Ditchling is a bit of an awkward shape for comparing hills, what with the umpteen switchbacks, altering gradients and false summits. The other week, I'd suggested to his mightiness Sir Dellzeqq, that Turner's Hill is a better yardstick for an SI unit (or 1.6 kilometrestick to be more accurate).

Top Bottom