When using cheap locks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Decided to lose the massive heavy D-lock for my commute to work as where I work is out of town, the other bikes there are of far greater value and it weighed a tonne, so opted for a cheap and cheerful coded chain.

On my first day with the chain my boss asked me to take the van home to attend a job first thing in the morning meaning leaving my bike at work, in the semi circular outdoor bike store.

Wishing I'd stuck with the big lock I left for home and was v. v. pleased to see it all there when I arrived the next day.

It wasn't though until I went to commute home in the evening that I noticed not only was the chain intact- but so was the keyring with the code written on it! Whoops! Turns out where I work is obv. very safe!

Oops
Did similar last year, her indoors asked me to pick something from Asda on way home so I took a cheap cable lock.
Coming outta the shop I searched my back and all my gear for the key only to find I'd left it in the lock!
Bit of a senior moment as well as a lucky one.

sidevalve

Über Member
theives are unlikely to bother picking the lock or messing arond to find the combination [if you give 'em that problem !] they'll just snip the chain/hasp. Try one of the smaller cheap D locks. They are equally easy to cut BUT they are thicker and need bigger cutters making it all more obvious to passers by what's going on.
Try the local m/cycle dealers for a mid range cable lock, some of these are quite tough and not TOO heavy.

redcard

Veteran
Why not get a 2nd D-lock and leave it locked up at work? You'll get a Kryptonite for around £25 which should do the job.

Nebulous

Guru
One of my most valued possessions is my Garmin 500. I log every mile, on different bikes. A couple of months ago I went to a meeting in the centre of town and left my bike chained to railings, round the side of the building, so off the main route, but still with a lot of passing pedestrians. I finished the meeting - began to dig all my cycling gear out of my rucksack - and couldn't find my garmin.
The realisation slowly dawned, I must have left it on the bike. I rushed outside, and despite sitting for a good couple of hours it was still there!

Top Bottom