when would you get married ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
if you lived to be 200 years old what would be a good age . ive been with the wife for 20 years now and looking forward to another 20 / 30 but could i cope knowing it could be another 170 ,not sure !

C

chillyuk

if you lived to be 200 years old what would be a good age . ive been with the wife for 20 years now and looking forward to another 20 / 30 but could i cope knowing it could be another 170 ,not sure !

I got married last year at age 63.

I have had best of both worlds, a good single life and then someone to share my old age with.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Jesus Christ, im really shocked by some of your attitudes to marriage !!!

just imagine if your other half died tomorrow and you never saw them again, now realise that it could happen to any of you at anytime.

now sod off and appreciate what you have :angry:

OP
OP
surfdude

surfdude

Veteran
Jesus Christ, im really shocked by some of your attitudes to marriage !!!

just imagine if your other half died tomorrow and you never saw them again, now realise that it could happen to any of you at anytime.

now sod off and appreciate what you have :angry:

i ve just read this book by John Wyndham Trouble with Lichen and was intrigued by the idea .love the wife dearly and would never want to be apart from her

If marriage is so great and successful, why do SO many end in divorce?

Living happily together is far more important than getting married.

I've never married and have no intention of doing so, but I hope and want to be with my partner to the end!

Answering the OP's question: if you live to be 80, then getting married at 30 is a good age, IMO. You've grown up and matured, learnt about yourself anf the world, and know what you want from life.

Basically, it's about respect and honesty, and treating other people the way you'd expect them to treat you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, I guess I'll have to wait until someone asks me*

* or, being an emancipated sort, someone comes along who it seems appropriate to ask.

Although I'm not bothered about being married per se, I'd be quite happy with just living with the right person.

I'm not sure exactly what jig sore's point is re marriage vs long term partnership, but I think I see what he means - having been in the position of losing the man I loved out of the blue, I hate to see people whine about the inconveniences of being 'tied' to someone and domestic life. And I find the thing about 'getting a pass' to go cycling bewildering. I don't think I'd be with someone who didn't want to come along too...

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
wife, husband. long term partner what ever, i didn't make out that marriage was any different or special.

my point was about getting into a relationship and putting a time limit on it. why would you do that ??

as the saying goes... "a dog is for life, not just for xmas" :whistle:

OP
OP
surfdude

surfdude

Veteran
wife, husband. long term partner what ever, i didn't make out that marriage was any different or special.

my point was about getting into a relationship and putting a time limit on it. why would you do that ??

as the saying goes... "a dog is for life, not just for xmas" :whistle:

the point is you do have lots of dogs in your life cos they dont live long now would you pick a dog at the age of 20 if it was going to be around for say 150 years or would you wait until you are 100 .that way you would have lived a little before getting tied down .

Arch

Married to Night Train
the point is you do have lots of dogs in your life cos they dont live long now would you pick a dog at the age of 20 if it was going to be around for say 150 years or would you wait until you are 100 .that way you would have lived a little before getting tied down .

I think perhaps the phrase 'getting tied down' is part of what jig-sore is getting at. If it seems like a negative thing, why do it at all?

Some people would be only too happy to be 'tied down', but haven't had the chance, or have had the chance taken away from them.

Top Bottom