Where do you sit when camping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I'm just as happy sitting on a pannier or on the ground.

yello

Pottsy said:
Anyone tried one of these?

I've seen but not tried one. I was tempted but, to be honest, wasn't looking for more stuff to carry! Besides, I did think a more comfortable seat wasn't a matter of having a backrest but of being off the ground.

I reckon rich p's got the idea - a stool is a better proposition.

Bigtwin

I had a loan on one of those - utterly useless- you can't lean back anyway, so you may as well just lean your mat against something.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Thanks for the replies, I thought you might all make the sort of points that you have. There's normally something to be said for keeping everything as minimalist as possible (and therefore leightweight too), and there's often a tree/fence/wall to just sit on your mat and lean against.

richp - do you mean something like this?

http://www.cave-crag.co.uk/2148/Wynnster-Tripod-Stool-(Steel).html

It would be handy whilst cooking/sitting by the stove.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Pottsy said:
Thanks for the replies, I thought you might all make the sort of points that you have. There's normally something to be said for keeping everything as minimalist as possible (and therefore leightweight too), and there's often a tree/fence/wall to just sit on your mat and lean against.

richp - do you mean something like this?

http://www.cave-crag.co.uk/2148/Wynnster-Tripod-Stool-(Steel).html

It would be handy whilst cooking/sitting by the stove.

Yes, exactly that. I have to carry Mrs rich p's too either side of the tent on the rack. They're pretty light but I'm not good these days at sitting on the floor so the weight is not an issue. Ideal, as you say, for cooking too.

rich p said:
Yes, exactly that. I have to carry Mrs rich p's too either side of the tent on the rack. They're pretty light but I'm not good these days at sitting on the floor so the weight is not an issue. Ideal, as you say, for cooking too.

Snap! (better eating position to aid us old'uns digestion too).

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Ok, the stool idea might be worth a try - can't go wrong for £5.99 really I suppose, if it becomes annoying then it can be binned.

Bigtwin

Pottsy said:
Ok, the stool idea might be worth a try - can't go wrong for £5.99 really I suppose, if it becomes annoying then it can be binned.

Steel = heavy. I had a really nice Al one I used to take to sit on on the train - featherlight. Lost it in a pub one night for obvious reasons - will get another when I see one.

Percy

Bigtwin said:
I had a loan on one of those - utterly useless- you can't lean back anyway, so you may as well just lean your mat against something.

Having used one whilst camping every night for about 4 months, I'd disagree. The only drawback I found was getting up/sitting down was sometimes awkward, especially after a hard day in the saddle, as you are effectively sitting on the floor. Otherwise the comfort provided was very welcome at the end of the day and it is possible to lean back in them. Make sure it's well inflated - i.e. blow it up as hard as you can - and they are really quite comfortable.

asterix

Comrade Member
A few years ago C+ asked for a list of useful touring items and I suggested the aluminium tripod stool that I use now and then. It got me a mention in the mag but as no-one else said they used such an item I felt like I was a bit, kind of, you know.. ..eccentric:ohmy:

It's comforting to discover there are other eccentrics out there.

Top Bottom