Where do you..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
aim your lights if they are 'see by' ones such as the Hope 1?
Have mine pointing at the ground maybe 6-8 feet in front,is this right or should they be further out?

In front directly not dipped really with the MR 16 (21 LED) and also the same with the blackburn quad.That's how mine are set-up anyway.

Matty

Got a Hope1, pointed just a little down from horizontal. Don't want to blind drivers. Faster you go, further away you need to illuminate the road.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
My Hopes are just slightly dipped - aimed at boot height/numberplates
Could see your's a mile off tonight pal that's what made me wonder if my one was pointed too much towards the ground.
Nice xmas lights on your jacket? too:smile:

garrilla

With me EL530 I have the centre of the beam hit the floor about 10-15 yards away. This gives the light area enough face to be seen and with the natural bounce of the road will occasionally flash into the real of a car. The flood area around give just enough coverage for darker road to see the potholes etc and light up the signage.

GrasB

Veteran
fossy, at what distance are the cars?

I have my Smart 1w LED aimed so that it's usefully illuminating the ground, that's what, 2.5m or so in front of me, then I have my Exposure Joystick aimed so it blends in & continues the illumination up the road. This results in seeing the smart's pattern with a reasonable, but not overly useful, glow continuing up the road on low. On mid I can't see where the Joystick takes over from the smart & on high (which I seldom use) & can see the start of the Joysticks pattern as it gets a lot brighter around 2m ahead of my wheel.

GrasB

Veteran
240 lumen... oddly enough my 240 lumen joystick seems to be noticeably brighter than the Hope 1 I borrowed.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I was always told that when setting up see-by lights you need to stand/prop the bike up, and angle the light so the center spot/of the beam hits about 10m from the handlebars. This was by cyclists much older than me who used to have the old halogens iirc.

With be-seen-by lights I tend to angle it so drivers and other road users can see them easily.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
potsy said:
Could see your's a mile off tonight pal that's what made me wonder if my one was pointed too much towards the ground.
Nice xmas lights on your jacket? too:smile:

That was you over the A34 - thought so - did nod.....:evil: I was on the longer ride back......

Aimed at number plates at about 5m - there is enough spill on them though and they light up a good patch on the road about 10m in front... They did stop a couple of stupid pull outs tonight though - driver about to go for it, then 'WTF is that' sort of reaction.....:ohmy:

The 'side' lights were Smart super flashes on the rucksack - the fibreflares I had have died - got a refund...... I'm trying to out do santa for lights....;)

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
That was you over the A34 - thought so - did nod.....:evil: I was on the longer ride back......

Aimed at number plates at about 5m - there is enough spill on them though and they light up a good patch on the road about 10m in front... They did stop a couple of stupid pull outs tonight though - driver about to go for it, then 'WTF is that' sort of reaction.....:ohmy:

The 'side' lights were Smart super flashes on the rucksack - the fibreflares I had have died - got a refund...... I'm trying to out do santa for lights....;)
Look good them very visible.Thinking of getting another Hope for the twin headlight look,instead of the cateye el320 on flash I have now.
Getting used to this filtering lark now.must of passed 50 cars on way to that junction:biggrin:

Hope1LED%3BWarehouse%3BWarehouse.jpg

I take it,it's this?

HMR16LEDW212_cb_L.jpg

This is my MR16.

Top Bottom