Where to begin maintenance-wise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clutterydrawer

Hello,
Firstly I'm not sure if this should be here or in the technical section so apologies if I've got it wrong.

I cycle 22 miles each day to get to work and want to improve my ability/knowledge of bike maintenance. I've had a fair few problems recently culminating with destroying the chain and entire rear mech yesterday and having to call my boss to give me a lift home in the trailer.

Even better, I live on a farm miles from anywhere and have no transport to get my bike to a repair shop. Hence the need to fix things myself.

I have a book but don't really understand most of it - I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for where to begin, especially routine maintenance, as I think lack of it causes most of my problems.

Thanks for reading - feel free to have a laugh at my total incompetence:blush:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome to the fray cd. That's a fair commute. You will always find people willing to help on here. Go with the flow.

Try this site for starters, it should help you just fine: http://bicycletutor.com/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ask, post pics if you can. There are some seriously good mechanics on here (me and Mickle...heh...heh....:becool:) and I doubt there is a problem the folk on this site have not come across.

22 miles a day, and little knowledge of maintenance...wow...you've lasted well...

1. Keep drive chain (all the bits) as clean and 'properly oiled' as possible.
2. Keep bike reasonably clean - you'll spot 'dodgy bits'....
3. Ask on 'ere - there are some real nutters here who are more than happy to help (me included)...

4. To do it yourself may cost you a few hundred quids in tools......(won't be cheaper than a shop first time, but second time will) but you get there over the years - it certainly took me some time....
5. Don't rush a job - you aren't paid by the hour/job to fix your bike - take your time, get it 120% !!!!

OP
OP
C

clutterydrawer

thanks everyone!

I need to fix my rear mech before I get back to work in the new year so I might be on here rather a lot.:blush: Although my favourite bike shop has also very kindly said that I can phone them if I get stuck and they'll talk me through it. Wish me luck!

peanut

I would suggest that you take some good pictures of your rear mech. Use a flash or take them outside in natural light. Use Google Picassa or similar to crop the images nice and tight to show only the relevant bits and use the brighness edit feature if necessary.
Describe the problem and we will do what we can to help.

You do not need to spend a fortune on tools. You are not going to be starting a bicycle repair shop just yet. :blush:

I would recommend that you initially get a multi metric allen-key tool which will have all the allen keys you are likely to need for minor adjustments . Compact enough to carry with you.
Buy a small under seat wedge bag for your spare tube. Puncture kit and small tool kit, mobile fone etc .

Small philips screwdriver to adjust front and rear mechs.
compact chain link tool .If your bike has some nuts and bolts ie brake calipers then you can either get a small multi nut size flat spanner or a small adjustable from halfords etc which can be carried with you.
Add a good puncture repair kit and frame pump and that should be all you need to start with . When you have the funds and become a little more ambitious you could look to buy a multitool kit like the ones Lidl sell which are a very reasonable £20-£30 I believe.
I wouldn't advise you buy these tools at your local bike shop as they will be expensive. if you can't buy online from somewhere like Ribble Cycles then most of it can be bought reasonably at Halfords ,Lidls or a local Wilkinsons etc.

My last suggestion will raise a few eyebrows but I would suggest you try to get hold of a gash bike that is complete and in reasonable condition but maybe going to the local tip. Use that to practice and learn on to your hearts content so that you don't put your only means of transport at risk by fiddling with your main bike .

peanut

sorry CD I was so busy giving advice I forgot to give you a big hearty welcome to CycleChat.:angry:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
In my experience the following tookkit does 85%+ of all maintenance:

A 10 mm spanner
Multitool
Leatherman (or a pair of pliers)
Set of tyre levers
Spoke key

That kit also has the advantage that it will fit in a small saddle bag along with your spare inner tubes.

If you want one easy to understand but comprehensive book get The Bicycle Repair Book by Rob van den Plas. That and the internet sources will tell you just about everything you need to know.

If you want to go a bit more maintenance free you might want to consider a hub gear system like the Rohloff (utterly reliable but a bit expensive) or the newer variants from other makers. Perhaps somebody else could comment as to the reliability of Shimano and SRAM models.

OP
OP
C

clutterydrawer

thanks again everyone

That's a good idea about practising on another bike - here's actually one here which was left by a previous tenant, none of us use it, so I could have a tinker about with that. I have a wealth of tools aswell cos I've been fixing little bits and pieces for the last four years just don't really understand the complicated bits.

I've definitely been guilty of "ride it till it dies" aswell which is what needs to stop, I think if I'd maintained it better I wouldn't have just had to fork out for a new mech.

Amusingly they didn't even have the right mech hanger so i can't fix it just yet....it's lucky I've got two weeks off work to get hold of one though!

peanut

Andy in Sig said:
In my experience the following tookkit does 85%+ of all maintenance:

A 10 mm spanner
Multitool
Leatherman (or a pair of pliers)
Set of tyre levers
Spoke key

That kit also has the advantage that it will fit in a small saddle bag along with your spare inner tubes.

well I bow to your superior experience Andy even though you appear to have pretty much repeated what has already been said.
Better than a 10mm imo is a multi flat bike spanner which has 6mm, 8mm, 10mm,and other imperial sizes
I have to take exception to pliers though. Other than pulling cables tight they have no place on a bike tool kit.
Its the tool of a butcher along with a hammer and screw:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:driver

peanut

clutterydrawer said:
thanks again everyone

I have a wealth of tools aswell cos I've been fixing little bits and pieces for the last four years just don't really understand the complicated bits.

you mean you are an experienced mech:ohmy: we all thought you were a novice . :angry: you'll do fine. Its very satisfying riding a bike you have fettled yourself.....well it is when it works properly lol:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

clutterydrawer

i can do things like replace my brake pads and other really basic stuff that can be worked out by looking at it. but I don't do the fiddly bits :angry: or anything routine.

also my dad likes to buy me tools so I have things I haven't used yet which may come in handy in future!

bonj2

remember - unlike cars, bikes make sense. Generally things do what you would think they do, in the way you would think. Remember the golden rule - assembly is the reverse of removal. If something's not working quite well or you want to find out how it works, just take it apart and put it back together again. Or take a part off and put it back on again, then you'll know how to replace that part. then when you get to specific problems you don't know how to do, post a specific question on here and someone 'll tell you exactly what to do - that's what i do. until recently I could pretty much do everything apart from bottom bracket / crank replacement, but posted a load of specific questions on here and yacf about what tool do I need etc. and i can do that confidently now.

park tool website is a good resource, it gives step by step instructions on how to overhaul a specific area of the bike. Just pick one and give it a go..

Top Bottom