Where to stay at Lands End?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi, We are attempting the LeJog & the 3peaks challenge in June and I was wondering if anybody could recommend where we could stay the night before our challenge commences at LE. There are 14 of us(11 cyclists,1 therapist & 2 support drivers). I have received some great tips off Robbie P regarding the ride/accomodation but if people would like to let me know anymore pitfalls or positives :rolleyes: we would be very grateful. We do intend to avoid the A30 as much as possible to Okehampton after reading some of the posts on here! but we will be riding the A9. All comments welcome. Happy New Year to you all.

Barbelier

Hi, We are attempting the LeJog & the 3peaks challenge in June and I was wondering if anybody could recommend where we could stay the night before our challenge commences at LE. There are 14 of us(11 cyclists,1 therapist & 2 support drivers). I have received some great tips off Robbie P regarding the ride/accomodation but if people would like to let me know anymore pitfalls or positives :rolleyes: we would be very grateful. We do intend to avoid the A30 as much as possible to Okehampton after reading some of the posts on here! but we will be riding the A9. All comments welcome. Happy New Year to you all.
14 is a lot and may give you a problem. Only place I know in Lands End itself is the Lands End Hotel (not cheap). I stayed in Penzance and there you would have bigger hotels and more choice. Its only 10 miles from Lands End so you could cycle down to LE and back the day before and get a head start on the first day. I stayed at the Warwick House in Penzance, run by a great couple and would highly recommend it. However, I doubt they could accomodate 14.

You could try this Climb hut, as it might be empty during the period you want or might have room to take you all in:
http://www.climbers-...s-cornwall.html

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Tony

Been thinking of you and your training with the recent weather, plenty of snow even down in Bournemouth!!

Barbelier makes perfect sense, stay in Penzance, loads of B & B's even if you have to spread over a couple of them, the hostel may be an option though???

I see you've bombed the A30, what have you planned instead?

Happy training!!

Robbie

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Tony

Been thinking of you and your training with the recent weather, plenty of snow even down in Bournemouth!!

Barbelier makes perfect sense, stay in Penzance, loads of B & B's even if you have to spread over a couple of them, the hostel may be an option though???

Happy training!!

Robbie

subaqua

What’s the point
Hi Tony

Happy training!!

Robbie

A3075 is a quieter route through Cornwall, its the "old" A30 in the main

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Robbie, Not sure which way yet, but most of the guys have heard bad stories about the A30 so will plan it a bit closer to the time. We have booked most of the stopovers, just the 1st 2 nights are proving problematical. Our training is going well(ish) doing a 50+miler on weekends & a couple of 20milers during the week with some dorset hills thrown in for good measure :rolleyes: and plan to step up the intensity as the weeks move on. We must meet up for a chat.
Also thank you Ticktockmy for your suggestion of the climbers hut,I tried them but they don't hire out to outsiders in the summer( even to charity foundations like us!) but I understand why they do keep it inhouse so to speak.

Have you though of asking the Local Scouts or the Army cadets as they will I guess have some form of accomadation in the area, just another idea!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Or (don't laugh) the Salvation Army.

When we did our JOGLE last year with a church youth group we mostly stayed in church halls, but a couple of places (Not Cornwall) the local churches (of our own & "friendly" denominations) were unable to help and the Salvation Army were brilliant at filling the gaps.... one place they even gave us breakfast as their contribution to our fundraising efforts.

Just avoid bringing any alcohol onto their premises....

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
All booked up now! so thanks anyway guy's. We have booked the Backpackers Hostel in Penzance after reading some good reviews! and into Travelodge at Okehampton, in fact we have booked Travelodge at 6 other stayovers( Bristol, Ludlow,Chorley, Carlisle, Edinburgh & Cockermouth (on the way back for Scarfell) & 4 of them were only £19.50 per family room), so it is possible to do the run on a bit of a budget :tongue: A little bit more expensive in Newtonmore but it looks good & includes a full Scottish breakfast! and then Carbisdale Castle which is supposed to be haunted but I reckon we will be too tired to notice!!!! then a quick ride to JoG :rolleyes: and straight over to Fort William to begin the climbing after a night on the lash!
I will keep everyone updated on the quality of the accomodation and of our route when I finalise it but thank you all again for your assistance.
And if anyone has any comments about the route please let me know. The devil is in the detail.....apparently :whistle: .
Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Christkd,
We intend to complete the cycling in 9 days ( @100 miles per day) which we have to achieve because the digs are booked!
It will help us focus for sure!!!!!!!

Christkd

Nice one, none of us are seasoned cyclists so we are going to do it in 11 or possibly 12 days, un-decided at present but we need to get our accomodation booked soon, only 10 weeks to go!!!!:eek:

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Christkd,

With your ride coming up soon you should be booking your accomodation now otherwise you will pay over the odds! Travelodge is definately worth a punt to keep down your costs! We are charging everyone £300 which covers all the digs & fuel for the vans so it can be done on a budget.
Keep training hard mate & remember its the hours in the saddle that counts the most :tongue: Good luck to you and I hope the weather is kind.
Tony

Top Bottom