Where was everybody on Sunday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muddy Ground

What a funny day out and about. There is no bridge over the A217 at Reigate. Now I don't know, but perhaps this had an effect on people as I only saw four other mountain bikers, a handfull of peds and three horse riders. Where is everybody today? Sunday and there should be loads of people out yet it was more like a Wednesday morning. Following the North Downs Way I could have riden naked and not been seen, not that there's much to see. Indeed normally I disappear into the bushes for a wee [or seven thanks to my morning pint of espresso] but today there was no need to politely hide away and I could spray my urine marker to my heart's content. Perhaps people had given up battling with the traffic directions as the A217 diversions seemed to send people to Coulsdon or Port Talbot.

I didn't go anywhere exciting; M25 parallel path for a bit of weeding, run over to the duck pond, circular around Headley and up the Pyramids [didn't bother to stop at Ali's for a crappy coffee] and then back via the NDW, the side horse path diversion for some mud work, and the final dog path at Reigate. Here at the start I normally stop, get off my bike and then clamber over the huge tree root. Indeed that's what I did, but then I stopped to look at it. Surely it can be ridden? Why was I being a big Jess? I measured the crankset to root distance and it was a close call, but it cleared by a few mm right in the middle if taken at 45 degrees so I decided to give it a go. And yes it can be cleared in the downhill direction. Uphill may take a bit more comittment, but I've seen it done. It's all a bit close down there as the trees really compress the trail. One of the better sections around here for solo riding. It does look as though somebody needs to go down there with a saw though..... And the M25 path that caused such a kerfuffle amongst the Moles last week has been ridden by a few more cyclists since, which is nice, althought the ferns are still strong. "Feel the ferns young Luke. The ferns are strong around here."

3 hours on the bike and it was hard work. For some time I thought my brakes were dragging as my bike just couldn't maintain speed. I'd get it going and it'd just slow down, not maintaining momentum. It took me some time to work the problem out; Mud X tyres on dry trails. Do I change back to dry tyres for next week? Possibly. But have you seen the price of tyres these days? Decent set is getting on for £90, which is outrageous. And have you actually even considered buying a set? I went on to CRC and there must have been 200 different tyres. Hard, soft, wide, thin. Tubed, midi or tubeless sir? Square or round? I spent 50 minutes just scrolling through the darn site. Boring as hell it was. Worse I'd find a set I liked, but due in October. What a faff. I've got some Panaracer Pro's in the basement, and may try them again but can remember the fear. Hated those tyres.

A great day to be out, but not good if you need company. Of the few riders I did see two were actually wearing headphones. What's that all about? The others were in polo shirts and trainers, so one would assume en route to the pub. The walkists I saw were very elderly; as in their 80's and were shocked to see me.

Headley by the way looks to be closed for a road race August the 14th. No idea how they are going to do it, as even the bridleways are closed, but you'll need a wrist band to watch the cycle race. I feel a ride to Caterham coming on.

All ride I tried to put my new Astounding Adventures skills to use; manuals, attack position and cornering. Manuals I'm crap at, and the attack position makes my lazy legs ache after a short time. The cornering bit I still pedal backwards between corners, but leaning the bike over into corners whilst standing on the outside pedal I can just about do. The slight downhill to Headley used to mean my front end washed out on the gravel, yet laying the bike over and adopting a slightly different line means the bike grips all the way through. So instead of being slightly out of control, I was in control and the run felt smoother and less dramatic but less fun also. Kind of got to the bottom feeling good but somehow a bit shortchanged. I'm not moaning though; my old style was very on the edge and just a hair's away from a big off. I got down at the same speed, used less energy and was nowhere near crashing. This I like.

Top Bottom