Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Kryptonite NY 3000D

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Abus Granite X plus 54

• Other (please specifiy)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Ok, now that I have a nice bike I thought I'd best get a decent lock.
I have a cheepo cable lock that came with an accessory pack - it's a combination lock one.

I have my eye on approx three D locks;

Magnum Plus
Kryptonite New York 3000D
Abus Granit X Plus 54

So which one is it to be?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Magnum plus mini-shackle with cable.

It's excellent. Gold-rated, small, and you can secure both wheels with the cable.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_productId_231103_langId_-1_categoryId_31389

Looks quite good, does it have a bracket to mount it to the frame at all?

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Does nobody want to vote on my poll? :sad:
No other recs then before I venture out to get the magnum Plus shackle from Halfrauds (£29.99 on offer from £43.99 btw)?

bonj2

to take with you or for at home?
i.e. is weight / portability a factor.
budget?
i'll vote when you answer the above...

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
bonj said:
to take with you or for at home?
i.e. is weight / portability a factor.
budget?
i'll vote when you answer the above...

To take with me. I keep the bikes in the house.
Probably not on my commute though as I work on a secure site, but when I go everywhere else (in Town especially).
No budget as such so long as it's a decent lock. I was thinking in the £50-£100 range given that you're supposed to get a lock that's worth 10% of the value of your bike.

bonj2

kryptonite then. it's 16mm, abus is 13mm, magnum plus is only 8mm.

another one to consider - i've got one of these
(which i don't use that much incidentally now as i keep my bikes in my flat) but when i do i find the smaller size of it isn't particularly limiting, you can normally find a convenient railing. In fact the smaller size is probably better for security - less likely to be able to get a jack in it, and it's under 1kg and still 13mm. Still very very unlikely to be boltcroppered.

buddha

Veteran
Ive been using a Kryptonite NY-3000 (+ kryptoflex cable) for about 18 months. They have survived (one known) bolt cutter attack and someone trying to pick the lock with a screwdriver.
I don't use the frame mounting bracket though as the lock rattled around too much on bad roads - it eventually snapped. Either use a rucksack, pannier or strap it to a rack.

515mm

got me a Kryptonite Fagheddaboudit (sic). Which is a tiny U lock with a sodding great big chain (I use an additional cable to secure m'front wheel) It comes with a 1 yr £2000 warranty. Picked it up for £95 on ebay, brand new.

seems just the thing

Top Bottom