Which bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyboyovyick

Hi

New to this forum, hope i have posted in the right section.

I'm doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride on the 10th of July (you guys may know of it)

Well the problem is.....

I am not a professional cyclist nor do i have a lot of money to spend on bikes, and by that i mean £100 or less.

At the moment me and 2 of my uncles have signed up for this ride and they have their bikes sorted, but the bike i have been using for training isn't very light.

I have 3 bikes in my garden:

Raleigh Manta mountain bike 26"
Shockwave XT950 full suspension bike
And something else from the dump.

The Manta is just a normal steel frame mountain bike with no suspension. It is pretty heavy compared to what my uncles are using. The Shockwave is a full suspension mtb (supposedly form Halfords). So it weights a ton and bounces up and down whilst going down the road.

Shockwave

It has an aluminium 6061 box frame, steel suspension forks (motorcycle style), disc brakes, shimano gears.

I took the forks off and the frame is VERY light. Now what i would like to do to that is: buy some road tyres and some smaller and lighter suspension forks. sorted.

Something else from the dump

My dad rescued this one from being crushed. Its a thin full suspension bike with normal suspension forks and weights less than the Manta. It needs new crank bearings and then a chain, tyres and brake and gear cables.

Should i spend the money on the Manta, Shockwave or something else from the dump?

Thanks and i hope someone can help me out on this one!

corshamjim

IME 60 miles is doable on almost anything so long as the saddle is comfortable, it fits ok, and you don't mind taking some time over it. Having said that, if it were me I'd be keeping an eye out at local auctions, boot sales etc,. for something fairly light and agile to make the ride easier.

In the town where I live there are a bunch of enthusiasts who run a bicycle renovation project. They sometimes have some nice light bikes. It's worth asking if there's something similar near you.

http://www.spindlesandsprockets.co.uk/htmlHome.php

OP
OP
F

flyboyovyick

IME 60 miles is doable on almost anything so long as the saddle is comfortable, it fits ok, and you don't mind taking some time over it. Having said that, if it were me I'd be keeping an eye out at local auctions, boot sales etc,. for something fairly light and agile to make the ride easier.

In the town where I live there are a bunch of enthusiasts who run a bicycle renovation project. They sometimes have some nice light bikes. It's worth asking if there's something similar near you.

http://www.spindlesa...uk/htmlHome.php

Thanks for your reply.

I have been keeping an i out and there is nothing local! Ive tryed the Loot, eBay and i been looking on ad boards in shops. Ive tryed the dump and they had nothing.

I think i may end up buying tyres and suspension forks for the Manta.

Top Bottom