Which bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I am considering replacing my bottom bracket myself. The LBS didn't bother touching it despite me telling them is was clanking under pressure.

How do I tell which type of bottom bracket I should buy?

I have a Ridgeback Cyclone from a few years ago (2005). What type of bottom bracket would it take?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh I should add, it might have been previously replaced (not sure). I have a Truvativ triple chain set, if that helps.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Gawd, what a question! There are several different types of BB and there might be one, which is a better replacement for what you have. Are you sure it needs replacing? Have you tried gripping the cranks and testing them for sideways movement? If you remove the chain and spin the cranks do they turn smoothly?

If its a square taper most of them have the code stamped on it (most not all) it will say something like 68 118 or just 118. The 68 is the shell size and the 118 is the length of the axle. They all have that type of code on the in side if you take it out you will see it. Over then that if you have a long set of callipers you can see what length the axle is as it will be a 68 shell.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
68mm or 73 mm shell (road and mtb) then you'll want the axel length.

Why not take it out, check, put it back in, cranks back on, and order the new one - easy !

It will most likely be square taper if cheaper/older or ISIS/splined

Might be a good idea to remove cranks, remove BB, get the measurements, check BB for play or roughness, re-grease the threads and re-assemble. If the noise goes away, it's fixed. If it doesn't remove and refit chain rings, check pedals etc.. See what happens - if not cured, get new BB.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

When I got it serviced (yeah right) the chap at the lbs said he tightened everythingg down there, so I do think it is the BB. I'll look closer tomorrow and see what I can find.

Mr Pig

If you do need one the best thing to do is take it out and take it to the shop with you. I was given the wrong one years ago, it was too long. Right pest having to take it back and change it! :0(

Bigtallfatbloke

LBS just replaced my BB this morning the old one was a mess...and the bike is a 2007 model!!!...but it has been carrying some weight for a while.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mmm. I think I'd be better taking it to a lbs to get it replaced. Too much uncertainty. Once I've been on my cycle maintenence course (October) I'll tackle these things myself.

Mr Pig

magnatom said:
I think I'd be better taking it to a lbs to get it replaced. Too much uncertainty.

No, it's really easy. Go for it man :0)

And get one of those bike tool kits if they're coming up in LIDL next Thursday, They have a Shimano BB tool in them.

Top Bottom