Which Chain/Cable lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello everyone, I have a D lock, but becoming increasingly paranoid about my bike - am starting to heed the advice that I should two locks of different types when locking bike up.

Bike radar gives a good review for the Abus Steel-o-chain, but the review is two years old.

Has anyone come across any other similar lock at around the £50 mark with good reviews?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Based on internet discussion around cables I wouldn't bother and a chain only seems worth it if it's one of those massive motorbike ones. Personally I use two d-locks, one through frame and rear wheel and the other the downtube and front wheel, both attached to a solid object if possible. Depending on reach from front wheel to down tube you can use one of the mini ones to secure that.

A d-lock/cable combi is normally used by securing frame and rear wheel via d-lock and front wheel via cable. Seeing as how most cables resist for less than 10 seconds you can kiss goodbye to a front wheel using this method. I lost my first bike when it was locked via two cables and a cheapo d-lock, the police were most dismissive of what I had thought was top notch security. There's a really good thread on LFGSS on locks that work here:-

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

scouserinlondon

i am in the lucky position that I can leave a lock at work, so bought a brutish ton of a motorbike chain lock which stays on the racks at work. A decent chain is too heavy to carry around imo.

Top Bottom