which cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lis

Any recommendations for cleats? I have a road bike I've been cycling for almost 2 years and I also go to spin classes indoors since 3 years and a half ago. Since I already had the cleats I used for spin classes I put the same pedals on my bike (which are I believe for mountain bike). I've been wondering if I should change to a road cycle cleat. any suggestions? I'm confused because some people said I shouldn't change because road cleats gives you less movility and make your feet numb..

Panter

Just call me Chris...
If you change cleats then you'll need to change your pedals too.
Personally, I couldn't get on with road pedals/cleats and went back to the mountain bike type SPD's

"Proper" road cleats are supposed to help prevent the numbing, but I found it made no difference, just far harder to get clipped in and very difficult to walk.
I am in the minority though, most road cyclists seem to get on just fine with them, just giving my experience.

Willo

For what it's worth, I use an SPD (mountain bike) set up on my road bike as do many others. For me, that provides the flexibility for commuting (road style cleats are not recessed making walking difficult), weekend rides and the spin bikes in the gym. Others will be better qualified to answer, but in short road shoes/cleats provide a wider platform and a rigid sole to support the foot and help transfer power.

I compromise by using SPD shoes with a rigid sole akin to a road shoe to support the foot and pedals with a large base (shimano a530s). That works fine for what I want.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I used road cleats for about 5 years. I felt the binding they provided was more secure so I could power into climbs and sprints better. However I was wearing out a pair of cleats every month or two which wasn't cheap so I switched to MTB style SPDs. Been using them for about a year and I must say it's just a "feeling" about the binding as I've never pulled out of the pedal whilst climbing with spd cleats and they are much, much easier to walk in and don't wear down at all.

Put it this way - I was glad that I use SPDs when my chain suddenly snapped half way around a busy fast roundabout a couple of miles from home (no chance of retreiving the chain to repair, not worth the risk to life and limb) so I was able to run with the bike across out of harms way and then walk home without any difficulty

For what it's worth, I use an SPD (mountain bike) set up on my road bike as do many others For me, that provides the flexibility for commuting (road style cleats are not recessed making walking difficult), weekend rides and the spin bikes in the gym. Others will be better qualified to answer, but in short road shoes/cleats provide a wider platform and a rigid sole to support the foot and help transfer power.

I compromise by using SPD shoes with a rigid sole akin to a road shoe to support the foot and pedals with a large base (shimano a530s). That works fine for what I want.

+1 I use A520's but its the same idea.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Look Keos work for me. If you plan on doing lots of walking go for spd mtb style cleats but if not spd-sl or Keos. I have had my current set of cleats for nine months of commuting and leisure cycling, circa 3000 miles they still have plenty of wear left in them. If I had to walk 100 meteres everyday then the road cleats I am sure would wear quickly, but that is not what they are for. If you want a large positive contact point and you intend doing long rides then Keos or similar are they way to go. Remeber though that for a three screw road cleat you are quite likely to need to change your shoes. That can get expensive!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Walking in a car park is fine but if I had a long walk I'd rather not and it'd make a mess of the cleats/ shoes too. I'd rather sensible up! ;)

No doubt, i'm responding to those who say you can't walk in them full stop. It's not hard.

Top Bottom