Which commuting tyre please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm sorry, I know it's a boring subject. Thank you for reading so far.

I only ride about ten miles a day, 5-6 days a week. Since the bike (Trek 7.3fx hybrid) was new I've survived on the standard issue Bontrager racelite hardcase for 18 months now. They're virtually slicks, great in decent weather and I'd keep them were it not for the fact they're hopeless in slush and shallow snow, and also that they cut up so badly. (I've just levered out 8 pieces of glass during a single p*cnt*re repair and some of the slashes do concern me a bit at 2mm or so).

So I'd like something a little grippier, and something that will get cut up less.

I'm thinking of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard citytires. Is this a decent choice or is there something better out there?

Budget is about £30 per tyre.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

rusky

CC Addict
Marathon+

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I had schwabe fitted to my bike and I didn't like them at all - I still got punctures and had no grip. I went for armadillos a few times and they are great - at one point I had armadillos and schwabes in my garage and the armadillos are rock hard compared. The only reason I have had to buy them a few times is because I keep getting the bike nicked! :sad:

rusky

CC Addict
There are very few who have had a puncture in an M+ if you had multiples then there's something badly amiss!

Smut Pedaller

Über Member
Vittoria Randonneurs are also a good heavy duty and reasonably cheap tyre. I've never had a puncture on them in a few thousand k's

M+ are the benchmark in fit and forget PP (P******e Protection), but they are heavy IME. If you want to save a few lbs you could get Durano+. You get the same PP tech but just fractionally less of it, but they make up for that with improved rolling resistance. I've used both but would go for Durano+ over M+ in the future.
That said I've just fitted Conti Gatorskins to my commuter, (needed rubber and just fancied a change), and a few weeks in I'm very happy with them :thumbsup:

rusky

CC Addict
I've got gatorskins on my road bike, seem good!

sabian92

Über Member
M+ are the benchmark in fit and forget PP (P******e Protection), but they are heavy IME. If you want to save a few lbs you could get Durano+. You get the same PP tech but just fractionally less of it, but they make up for that with improved rolling resistance. I've used both but would go for Durano+ over M+ in the future.
That said I've just fitted Conti Gatorskins to my commuter, (needed rubber and just fancied a change), and a few weeks in I'm very happy with them :thumbsup:

They're not that heavy!

I know there are better rolling tyres out there but for protection on crap roads with glass on and other stuff, you can't beat them. Worth sacrificing a little bit of speed for (and to be honest, treat it as a training exercise if you want to get somewhere faster, pedal harder! :biggrin:)

ohnovino

Large Member
Vittoria Randonneur City. I replaced front and rear almost 4000 miles ago, and had just the one puncture since (when I got over-confident and rode right over a huge pile of broken glass).

potsy

Rambler
What size tyres are you running now?
I'd agree with the M+ if you purely want the highest protection from flats, but in the widish sizes 32s/35s you are looking at 1kg per tyre.
I'm with smokey and compromise with the Durano+ in 23/25 much lighter and with decent protection.
Don't think you'll get any more grip with either though, best tyre I've run for that were the grand prix 4 seasons, but they aren't cheap :ohmy:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
M+ in 25mm here and I don`t think anything less will do in winter! Will change to something zippier come spring but for now until the mornings get lighter it will be these !

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The Bontrager Racelite that you have are very good tyres - very puncture resistant and durable. The cuts you refer to are superficial. But I agree, they're a bit iffy in the wet.

The M+ are heavy and you begin to notice this when you're tired, feeling under the weather or on a long climb.

Since most punctures occur on the rear, on my winter commuter, I run the M+ on the back and a mid-puncture resistant tyre on the front.

I have the Bonti on my nice weather commuter.

Top Bottom