Which CX bike to replace tricross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm taking the cash refund option on my 2011 tricross and looking for a disc braked CX bike to replace it - mainly for rides involving towpath or sustrans tracks and nasty condition on road in winter

So far the Boardman and the new Whyte Charing Cross look attractive options.

Any views on those or other suggestions?

(other bikes Whyte 901 Hard tail mtb & Van nicolas Yukon road bike)

potsy

Rambler
What happened to the Tricross?

If I was buying today it would be the Boardman, am still waiting for the Tricross disc 2012 to see if it's worth the extra.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
What happened to the Tricross?

If I was buying today it would be the Boardman, am still waiting for the Tricross disc 2012 to see if it's worth the extra.

All 2011 tricross have been recalled because of a fault in the fork - the brake bosses can break away!

Replacement forks are available but they are not a good match to the bikes - essentially specialized he bought in a job lot of identical forks.

The offer is new forks for free or refund of purchase price - I've gone for the latter as it is a chance to move up to disc brakes which give a bit more confidence!

Applies to:

2011 SIRRUS COMP
2011 VITA COMP
2011 TRICROSS
2011 SIRRUS EXPERT
2011 VITA EXPERT
2011 TRICROSS COMP
2011 SIRRUS ELITE
2011 VITA ELITE
2011 TRICROSS SPORT

I presume the tricross had canti brakes and that you didn't like them? (judging from your confidence comment).

The CX bike I had was fitted with canti's and I absolutely hated them at first, (to the extent I was going to swop them), but I changed the pads and set them up properly and they were absolutely fine.

My point is you don't need to throw money at the problem, (unless you want to of course). As long as canti's are set up properly they are fine.

Have you considered THIS. Best value for money you'll find anywhere :thumbsup:

Evil Rabbit

I have a Boardman CX Team and so far it has been brilliant (on the tracks, towpaths and roads). The disk brakes have been valued on most of the wet days we have had this month. Highly recommended.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been looking at crossers for the last few weeks and I'm first in line to test the 2012 Tricross discs when they come into my LBS. If I get on with that my titanuim Global MTB frame and bits will be going on Ebay.

Mrs Gti is encouraging me to buy one but only because she's actually Imelda Marcos reborn and my bike expenditure gives her carte blanche to spend money on designer footwear....

Edit: been studying that Boardman and it looks super, carbon fork as well. I'm sorely tempted but the big factor that puts me off is the need to buy it from Halfrauds and the possibility that it may need to go back for any repair or warranty work - not that that bothers me but falling into the hands of the Halfrauds muppets would. My alternative is Spesh from Harry Hall in Manchester, an excellent independent bike shop.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I've been looking at crossers for the last few weeks and I'm first in line to test the 2012 Tricross discs when they come into my LBS. If I get on with that my titanuim Global MTB frame and bits will be going on Ebay.

any idea when that is in?

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I presume the tricross had canti brakes and that you didn't like them? (judging from your confidence comment).

The CX bike I had was fitted with canti's and I absolutely hated them at first, (to the extent I was going to swop them), but I changed the pads and set them up properly and they were absolutely fine.

My point is you don't need to throw money at the problem, (unless you want to of course). As long as canti's are set up properly they are fine.

Have you considered THIS. Best value for money you'll find anywhere :thumbsup:

I would not get rid of the tricross just because of the canti brakes, but given the opportunity of a low cost upgrade instead of a set of non matching forks it seems sensible and if I'm buying now Disc brakes seem the way to go.

Alun

Guru
Planet X Uncle John, Pinnacle from Evans, 2012 Mares Cross from Wiggle, Genesis Croix de Fer, all have a disc brake version. There might be a few more CX 2012 bikes with discs as they're now catching up with the UCI ruling.

Evil Rabbit

Edit: been studying that Boardman and it looks super, carbon fork as well. I'm sorely tempted but the big factor that puts me off is the need to buy it from Halfrauds and the possibility that it may need to go back for any repair or warranty work - not that that bothers me but falling into the hands of the Halfrauds muppets would. My alternative is Spesh from Harry Hall in Manchester, an excellent independent bike shop.
It is a valid concern. The Halford's that I bought mine from could not set up the brakes properly. In the end, they called one of the other local branches and someone helped them there who did know the CXs. I now go to that branch and all has been fine.

potsy

Rambler

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't open those links here at work but I have the full specs:

The Specialized Tricross Elite Disc will cost £1200 and will come with Tiagra, a triple 50/39/30 and 10 speed 12-30

The Tricross Sport Disc will cost £900 and will come with Sora, a triple 50/39/30 and 9 speed 12-27

Both have Avid BB5 brakes and as far as I can see the same ali frame and forks.

potsy

Rambler
I can't open those links here at work but I have the full specs:

The Specialized Tricross Elite Disc will cost £1200 and will come with Tiagra, a triple 50/39/30 and 10 speed 12-30

The Tricross Sport Disc will cost £900 and will come with Sora, a triple 50/39/30 and 9 speed 12-27

Both have Avid BB5 brakes and as far as I can see the same ali frame and forks.

I was quite disappointed when I saw the spec list tbh, I have Sora on my current bike and would be looking for at least Tiagra on the Tri.
But, £300 extra seems a lot just for that. Was hoping the Elite would come with BB7's or at least some other upgrades on the 'Sport' :sad:

Makes the Boardman look even better value now.

Top Bottom