Which electric folder you would recommend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A27

I am going to get an electric motor fitted foldable for my commute of 15 km
(9 miles) each way on a hilly urban area with heavy congested traffic and a mixed kind of (I mean excellent to bumpy but asphalt) roads.

I registered here to seek advice and comments in choosing my bike and setup.

Here are my candidates:

- A Brompton M3R with a narrow (80 mm) Nano hub (250 watt) fitted on front wheel. This is a throtle only option. Motor, controller, cables and battery all weight just 3.2 kgs (7 lbs). Battery is modular and each module is good for 10 miles. One can add more to extend range at the expense of adding more weight. Motor and battery has no ill effect on folding. This option is the lightest (total mass less than 15 kgs) and the best size and shape when folded. Will cost me EUR 2100 (USD 3000)

- A Birdy with PL350 (350 watt) Bionx motor on rear hub. Not the Birdy Hybrid since it will cost EUR 3600 with some accessories and only w'th 250 watt motor but the ones sold at USA at around USD 2750-3000 if those are for real (jv bikes and similar). Rear and more powerful hub means more control and this can also be used as pedal assist. Also we have regeneration in this option. Birdy does not fold elegantly as Brompton but it's not bad either. And ride quality must be better though.

- Go cheap and get a Dahon Mu P8 and Bionx PL350 kit and fit them together myself. Dahon's fold is not good though. I am reluctant for this option except the cost which will be around USD 2000

I need electric motor only for hills, I am 1m71 (5ft8) and 93 kgs (ard 210 lbs I think)

Which one would you recommend me?

Top Bottom