Which groupset for all round use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Right after a lot of bad luck on eBay and looking at a few bikes I’ve more or less made my mind up on n+1.

Even Mrs 73 like’s it so it’s got the official approval. :okay:

As it will be an all round bike which gear combo would work best for Winter / bad weather road use , some off road fun (inc cycle paths, gravel ,woodland) and a bit of light weight touring. With a few hills along the way.

1) SRAM Apex 1x chainset - 40 t crank 11-42 cassette
Or
SHIMANO 105 (R700) groupset with option’s
2) 34/50 t chainset or 36/52 t chainset with 11-28 cassette or 11-32 cassette (option with either chainset)

As a’m still getting use to gearing and what work’s best any help would be welcome.

Drago

Legendary Member
The 105's function is second to none, and the finish is impeccable. The SRAM is also a top bit of kit, although i don't know what the standard of finish may be.

If you can live with 10 speed the current and last gen Tiagra are also excellent performers with a beautifully hard finish, and cost a bit less, although the brifters are physically large and may not suit Mrs Tom's hands.

lazyfatgit

Im running 34/52 with 11-32 on one bike and 11-28 on another. The mtb has a lower geared 1x which is great for its simplicity but is a bit limiting on better made gravel rds.
For all round use I'd be getting the 105. Depends how fit you are which chsinset to go for but id get the 11-32 on the back. If you really dont need the lowest gear its easier and cheaper to change the cassette.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
2) 34/50 t chainset or 36/52 t chainset with 11-28 cassette or 11-32 cassette (option with either chainset)

I've got the previous generation 105 (5800) on two of my bikes, with almost those set ups and I'd recommend 105 to anyone.

The 36/52 / 11-28 on my carbon bike and the 34/50 / 11-30 on the "winter" bike.
There's not a lot of difference between them to be honest other than at the extremes of each range and I've never felt that I'm missing out in terms of speed or climbing ability regardless of which bike I'm on.
Both change sublimely with a light but positive action even under load and I can't see the need to upgrade on either bike.
The carbon has the hydraulic non-series brifters and they are a touch on the large side, so check they're a good fit if you go down that route. The "proper" 105 brifters on the winter bike are more aesthetically pleasing.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Another 105 fan. I am not the strongest rider and I live in similar topography to you so I would personally prefer the 34/50 with 11-32.

That said, although I have the same cassette, I have a triple upfront. An old knee injury and audax events that I like, swayed my final choice.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say I didn't like my 5800 hydraulic brake 105 experience. The shifting was very iffy and needed constant attention to keep it tolerable. The old 2011 9spd Tiagra was better and my new 2018 10spd Tiagra 4700 seems to be fantastic too, but it is very early days.

I do also have hydraulic ultergra on my CX bike and that is superb, which is strange because on paper it should be a very similar experience to the 105???

Sharky

Guru
When men were men we all toured on a 2 x 5 set up using an SR 52/42 crankset with an 11 - 28 rear block so much simpler and more fun go on be a devil give it a try , man a happy mile youth hostling around Wales with my then local ctc
When this man was a boy, I rode 52/42 with a 14-18 block and survived.
Could you get a block with an 11 cog? Some of the stronger club mates used a 13-17 and one winter, I had an 18-22 block made up, which at the time seemed incredibly low geared.

Venod

Eh up
I now run 46/36 on my Cross and Road Bikes with 11-32 I get to use the 11 which was rare with 50/34, the only thing its not probably suited for is heavily loaded touring but I don't do that.
Shimano 105 10 speed has been very reliable for me, so I stick with it.
I am a bit of a spinner though and manage to keep up with people in higher gears with no problem, so if you like pushing big gears 46/36 may not be for you.
46/36 is good going up, one change at the front is not too big.
I had a single ring on the MTB, changed to double which suits me a lot more.

Last edited:

Boon 51

Veteran
The 105's function is second to none, and the finish is impeccable. The SRAM is also a top bit of kit, although i don't know what the standard of finish may be.

If you can live with 10 speed the current and last gen Tiagra are also excellent performers with a beautifully hard finish, and cost a bit less, although the brifters are physically large and may not suit Mrs Tom's hands.

I would second that.. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Right after a lot of bad luck on eBay and looking at a few bikes I’ve more or less made my mind up on n+1.

Even Mrs 73 like’s it so it’s got the official approval. :okay:

As it will be an all round bike which gear combo would work best for Winter / bad weather road use , some off road fun (inc cycle paths, gravel ,woodland) and a bit of light weight touring. With a few hills along the way.

1) SRAM Apex 1x chainset - 40 t crank 11-42 cassette
Or

As a’m still getting use to gearing and what work’s best any help would be welcome.

I tried the Apex 1x on a Whyte Wessex when I was trying it as a potential new bike. Works fine in a clunky way (I like the double tap operation a lot) but there are some big gaps in the gears which are very noticeable on continually undulating terrain.

My Trek has 50/34 chainrings and 11-32 cassette - more or less does me although a 34T out back would bring more bliss on longer uphill slogs.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I'm going to be a stick in the mud and say I didn't like my 5800 hydraulic brake 105 experience. The shifting was very iffy and needed constant attention to keep it tolerable. The old 2011 9spd Tiagra was better and my new 2018 10spd Tiagra 4700 seems to be fantastic too, but it is very early days.

I do also have hydraulic ultergra on my CX bike and that is superb, which is strange because on paper it should be a very similar experience to the 105???
The old RS505/105 mix on my CX bike is not the greatest at shifting. If could justify the cost I would upgrade the hydro shifters to ultegra. Currently just swapped out my rear mech for ultegra, so if I see a bargain the sti will be swapped at next.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The old RS505/105 mix on my CX bike is not the greatest at shifting. If could justify the cost I would upgrade the hydro shifters to ultegra. Currently just swapped out my rear mech for ultegra, so if I see a bargain the sti will be swapped at next.
Yes, that is the combination I had. Even after the RH/Rr shifter was replaced under warranty due to a fault it was just the same. I have to speculate that maybe Shimano hadn't quite got it right when they released this early version?
The Ultegra appears to be far superior so far.

Top Bottom