which loctite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
I have bearing races i need to loctite in my rear sus mtb, which is the loctite to 'glue' them in need to take a up alittle slack in the seat too :sad:

cheers

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
You need Loctite 222, it's a threadlocker but we use it at work to retain bearings too. Make sure the surfaces are really clean, acetone/alcohol should clear any oil/grease.

What's the matter with your slack seat, isn't that just age :biggrin:

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Are the bearings quite a loose fit where they fit? Ideally, they would be an intereference fit and need pressing in.

Does it look like the bore that the bearing goes into has worn?

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Well, what you could do ( as a bit of a "bodge") is get a small centre punch and carefully punch around the inside of the bore that the bearing goes into. This will raise little spots that may take up any slack when the bearing is fitted.

Now this is dependent on how badly the bore is worn, how thick the wall of the bore is, and how much stick you're going to give it :whistle: and is still a "bodge", ie.get you out of a scrape.

Loctite will "fill" a slight gap but that's not ideal either, it's not really designed for that.

Is it a steel or ally part that the bearing fits into?

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
I dod not want to bodge it tbh. alu i believe its a main pivot bearing on a trek fuel ex need to take a look tbh. I read somewhere loctite could take upto .5mm.

the play was difficult to know if it was the bearings gone in comination with some play in the 'bore'

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Now I've learnt something :biggrin:

That seems exactly what you need, and yeah, that is too nice a bike to bodge.

Tell us how you get on, I can see that product becoming very popular :thumbsup:

Top Bottom