Which messenger bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That looks suspiciously like a RM pass ^_^

Well spotted!

Yes the bag does come with a chest stabilising strap. I couldn't find it at first, it was in one of the many pockets.

Best 6 years of my life it was. Pitty it all came to an end when they shut my depot down due to cost cutting :cry::cry: otherwise i would of still been there.

On a side note ive also been tempted by a messenger bag for a while and have been doing a little research....

Timbuk2 offer lifetime warranty on their bags but only if you purchased it directly from them (i.e their website or brick and mortar store) or a authorised reseller.

Im looking at picking up an 'Ironside' variant of the classic messenger
but cyclesurgery is the only authorised reseller in the UK but they dont stock that particular colour so im stuck... Either I go with generic black, grey or garish red that CS do stock or go with an amazon who have to import it themselves and comes without warranty but is around £10'ish cheaper...

Just out of curiosity where did you purchase your bag and how much did you pay for it? I can currently pick up one from CS for £80 with a discount code that expires soon.

I want it but im still on the fence about paying £80 for one. I can get the black one off amazon for £60, but the problem is the warranty....

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Best 6 years of my life it was. Pitty it all came to an end when they shut my depot down due to cost cutting :cry::cry: otherwise i would of still been there.

On a side note ive also been tempted by a messenger bag for a while and have been doing a little research....

Timbuk2 offer lifetime warranty on their bags but only if you purchased it directly from them (i.e their website or brick and mortar store) or a authorised reseller.

Im looking at picking up an 'Ironside' variant of the classic messenger
but cyclesurgery is the only authorised reseller in the UK but they dont stock that particular colour so im stuck... Either I go with generic black, grey or garish red that CS do stock or go with an amazon who have to import it themselves and comes without warranty but is around £10'ish cheaper...

Just out of curiosity where did you purchase your bag and how much did you pay for it? I can currently pick up one from CS for £80 with a discount code that expires soon.

I want it but im still on the fence about paying £80 for one. I can get the black one off amazon for £60, but the problem is the warranty....
With postage and the current exchange rate it came to £104. But then I had to pay import tax on £24.85 when it turned up. I new about the tax beforehand but still thought it was a good buy

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
God thats a lot for a bag, it looks nice but I've found that they are not that great on a bike.I've had 2 crumplers and I found a rucksack or a pannier to be more comfortable, but that bag is easy on the eye.
Come back in a bit and let us know how you have managed with it slipping and sliding about.

They usually come with a chest strap to prevent them from swinging about too much while cycling.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
looking at the amount of kit you carry, I think my decision to go for a small should be perfect.
Currently on sale for £48 at http://www.timbuk2bags.co.uk

I actually picked up a medium off ebay for £23. It's been used obviously but the condition was very very good and i now prefer it for my commutes. Only downside is that my bag has no warranty but im not super fussed about that. This bag will last at least another 3-4years of normal wear and tear pretty easily. Well made bags these are

Jason

Mine arrived yesterday. Will get some pics up with some of my stuff in it to give an idea of size for other readers. Really pleased with the black wax cotton, it will look better with age.

John_S

Über Member
Hi All,

Reading this glad to hear that everyone is happy with the messenger bags that they've bought.

Just in case anyone searches for this and reads it in the future looking for their own messenger bag then there's another option from UK company Restrap ( https://restrap.co.uk ) for just under £50 and it's made in Yorkshire:-

https://restrap.co.uk/collections/messenger-bags

Plus, at the moment at least, you get 10% of your first order if you sign up to their mailing list.

John

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well pushed the boat out a bit and bought one of these https://www.timbuk2.com/especial-cycling-messenger-bag/462.html

The medium is big enough for my laptop, which is not quite 15” however plenty room for it. Big enough for me and not too huge. Once on though you dont feel the weight , i have not been finding myself having to move it around my back like my other bag, which even with the cross strap moved around alot whilst cycling. Comfortable bag to wear can be worn right or left shoulder. Easy to adjust the strap unlike my old bag.
Went for this model only based on the fact that it would keep more water out!

Will try and report back after a few weeks of commuting, will have a more informed view by then!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
So my bag turned up first thing this morning and initial thoughts are I'm impressed, it's a good size and very well made.
I don't need to take a laptop to work but the internal pocket is 16" long so a 15" laptop would fit easily.
View attachment 369604

I do need to take this lot though

View attachment 369605

And it all fitted in the bag easily with room to spare.

View attachment 369606

View attachment 369607

The bag comes with a loop for a rear light, a carry handle and a zipped pocket you can access without opening the bag

View attachment 369609
View attachment 369610 View attachment 369611

I'll add a few more comments when I've used it for a few days
That's nice - the carry strap is a good addition (I used to gather up the long strap on mine to carry it "in hand"). Hope it works for you - they really do last forever, so if it doesn't suit on the bike, you'll have a handy overnight/general bag for a good while, at least.

John_S

Über Member
If anyone else is looking for a Messenger Bag then following on from the option from British company Restrap (as above) I've also seen another messenger bag from a different British company. My wife was looking at a new rucksack from a company called Millican, who are based in the Lake District I think, and whilst she was browsing through their website I spotted that they also do a messenger bag.

View: https://vimeo.com/245891681

https://www.homeofmillican.com/collections/shoulder-bags

mustang1

Guru
I've got a timbuk2 messenger 15 inch laptop bag from 2008 used every weekday from 2010 to middle of this year .Excellent bag. I see prices have gone up and things that were once standard are options (like the little soft handle).

The only thing that's broken on it is the keyring holder but that's completely user error .a fine bag and still in active use, just not daily .still looks very close to being new .I would buy another and highly recommend it.

Ps: I love their customisation options .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have Timbuk 2 especial bought over a year ago and is used daily. Pretty solid bag bought from some online store not US based so was a bit of a risk. However saved a good swatch of cash with it. Been great and fits my works HP 14” laptop fine. If buying again would maybe go larger bit I’ve managed with it .

Top Bottom