Which 'normal sized' folder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
I have been asked by a family member for advice on what folding bike to buy.

I have absolutely no idea about folding bikes, so any help is appreciated.

He isn't after a Brompton style bike with small wheels, he is looking for a 'normal' style of bike that folds.

Any ideas? Person buying is about 6'4', not looking to spend more than about £500. Commute of a few miles each way I think.

Thanks.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
All I can think of that'll come in at under £500 is the Dahon Jack, there may be others.

Montague Paratrooper- most versions are likely to be over the £500 mark.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree with palinurus. The other is Dahon Espresso, similar to the Jack with minor differences in components. I think they are probably his best bet unless front suspension is really important to him.

I wouldn't recommend any of the Montagues even if they were within his price range because they are unnecessarily heavy imho. Dahon's Matrix and Cadenza could be within his price range for discounted old stocks but they have this LockJaw folding mechanism, it works and looks fabulous but IMHO is problematic intrinsically in terms of robustness and long term durability, which is unfortunate. I had a Cadenza.

Like many factory wheels on new bikes my Cadenza's wheels while true were inadequately tensioned when new, something worth watching out for and should ask the LBS to deal with preferably before delivery or else at the first service/check.

The only other "regular size" wheel folders within his price range in the market are this from Argos and its variants sold by others (some with suspension, some without, some steel frame, some alloy). They are all incredibly heavy, I wouldn't consider any of them.

OP
OP
Waspie

Waspie

Über Member
Thanks. I'll have a look at the Dahons.

The only other "regular size" wheel folders within his price range in the market are this from Argos and its variants sold by others (some with suspension, some without, some steel frame, some alloy). They are all incredibly heavy, I wouldn't consider any of them.

Oh, my eyes. :eek:

Don't worry, I'll make sure he steers well clear.

bedrock

I'm also interested in getting a folding bike and as I'd like to keep within a budget have been considering one of these:

http://www.yeahbike.com/model/b1-3-20.html

I've yet to see one myself but I know a keen cyclist who claimed they aren't bad and at about £200 they may be worth a try.

If I understand correctly, they are old-model Dahon bikes re-badged under some other name. Further details here:

http://forum.dahon.com/index.php?showtopic=6562

In theory, they should be decent quality although I'm guessing they may be a bit heavy.

I'm going to take a look at them sometime, hopefully this weekend.

bedrock

I have been asked by a family member for advice on what folding bike to buy.

I have absolutely no idea about folding bikes, so any help is appreciated.

He isn't after a Brompton style bike with small wheels, he is looking for a 'normal' style of bike that folds.

Any ideas? Person buying is about 6'4', not looking to spend more than about £500. Commute of a few miles each way I think.

Thanks.

This model has a suggested rider height of up to 190cm

http://www.yeahbike.com/model/HA061.htm

Even if you got an extra-extra long seatpost, I reckon that 6'4" would be pushing it on such a small framed bike.

bedrock

OMG would anyone trust this?

But have you read the customer reviews on Argos?

"This product was of a very high standard, which we are very pleased with. It also had front suspension which was not listed in the catalogue. Very sturdy for folding bicycles and not to heavy, also very easy to assemble."

"For a folding bike this leaves a lot to be desired. This bike is so heavy that even a strong man had trouble with it and as for the "folding", we expected a lot of levers to pull or push to fold it but certainly not to have to use tools to put it together. This bike has now been returned."

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I did read them yes. Folding bike, catalogue outlet shop and high quality do not go together in my mind.
But have you read the customer reviews on Argos?

"This product was of a very high standard, which we are very pleased with. It also had front suspension which was not listed in the catalogue. Very sturdy for folding bicycles and not to heavy, also very easy to assemble."

"For a folding bike this leaves a lot to be desired. This bike is so heavy that even a strong man had trouble with it and as for the "folding", we expected a lot of levers to pull or push to fold it but certainly not to have to use tools to put it together. This bike has now been returned."

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I'm also interested in getting a folding bike and as I'd like to keep within a budget have been considering one of these:

http://www.yeahbike....el/b1-3-20.html

I've yet to see one myself but I know a keen cyclist who claimed they aren't bad and at about £200 they may be worth a try.

If I understand correctly, they are old-model Dahon bikes re-badged under some other name. Further details here:

http://forum.dahon.c...?showtopic=6562

In theory, they should be decent quality although I'm guessing they may be a bit heavy.

I'm going to take a look at them sometime, hopefully this weekend.

I have never heard of or seen these Yeah bikes, but looking at the spec, it seems the one without suspension has steel frame, forks, stem, handlebars, even hubs and bottom of the range Shimano drivetrain including freewheel. On the other hand, the one with suspension has mostly alloy parts BUT is saddled with Zoom front suspension forks, which I believe are generally low end and heavy. It would be interesting to know what they weigh.

After I sold my Cadenza (couldn't trust their lockjaw mechanism), I bought a Dahon Jack to replace it. After switching a few things it is now under 11kg (i.e. no heavier than the average Brompton) although it has a Large frame, the original (cromo steel) forks, 8 gears and no carbon parts. Am not sure whether I want to go there, but a sub 10kg full sized folder is definitly achievable based on the Jack.

For comparison, I believe the lightest Brompton on the market is the S2-LX at 9.8kg, in Ti and has only 2 gears.

HovR

Über Member
I've personally ridden the Dahon Espresso, and found it to be a very good bike!

I know someone who owns one, and their only complaint is that the bike is very clearly a folder, even to the inexperienced eye, so may be targeted for theft before other nearby bikes.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Dahon Speed P8 and use it rarely, but when I do I have a big grin on my face. I would not rule out 20" wheel bikes as it give you much more choice though. I was tempted by the Cadenza when I saw it though.

Altus

Regular
At 6ft 6in I used to commute into London for a couple of years on a Birdy folder. Not quite full size but I found the wheels and frame more substantial and more suited to my bigger build. With a bit of hunting they may find a good used Birdy Red or similar model at that price point.

Depends what you classify as a normal size folder. There was a folding mountain bike around at the same time.

Top Bottom