Which one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapster5

I'm thinking getting a new bike after getting back into it after a few years and I like the boardman road race and the specialized allez (I think it is) which is similar price what does anyone think is the best or is it a case of trying them?

Noodley

Probably best to start at telling us what you want from the bike and your budget, then we can maybe point you in the right direction...

OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

Well the budget is around the 2 bikes I just mentioned obviously and I want it for riding on the road

Norm

Thread moved.
Well the budget is around the 2 bikes I just mentioned obviously and I want it for riding on the road
As the Allez goes from £575 for the triple to £1250 for the Comp, and "riding on the road" could be anything from 10 mile time trials to a 600km audax, I think Noodley's question might be given a tad more courtesy than that.

OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

Didn't mean to cause offence just that I've seen offers for the bikes at around the same price that's all and I do various distances sorry

Norm

So, you are looking at around £600? And could be spending many hours in the saddle? What sort of age / flexibility are you as I think those are both fairly fast "race"-geometry machines.

From the Spesh range, for long hours in the saddle, I'd be looking at the Secteur. Slightly more "relaxed" than the Allez with higher bars and I think a slightly longer wheelbase, both of which improve comfort and stability and make it easier to spend hours riding.

OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

I'm 37 fairly flexible I would say as I play football and have an active job. I do like the Boardman though

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Best to try both if you can and see which feels the best for you , i have a boardman road comp which is the next model up with the same geometry but better groupset and it certainly is a mile eater and once i had got the set up dialed in very comfortable.

OP
OP
Mapster5

Mapster5

Nice one looked at that one as well might persuade the wife to let me stretch to that one have tried a boardman and really liked the ride and felt comfy on it

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Don't get too hung up on getting a bad bike - most of the bikes by major manufactures are of a similar quality for each price band. The Boardman and Allez will be equally good -it's more of which one do you feel is preferable.

That said - the real choice is whether you want an entry level bike with Shimano Sora or perhaps a slightly more expensive model with Shimano Tiagra.

Sorry to confuse matters!

cyberknight

Nice one looked at that one as well might persuade the wife to let me stretch to that one have tried a boardman and really liked the ride and felt comfy on it
I was torn between the cheaper bike and the comp,in the end i went for the dearer bike as it had sram apex groupset that runs an 11-32 cassette so you have the speed on the flat and a low enough gear to climb cliffs, i have not had to use the easiest gear yet but its there when i need it .When my club run goes into the peak district (?) around Ashbourne it certainly appreciated.
Another bonus is that as i am a "spinner 2 rather than a "grinder" i like the lower ratios although i can still hit a nice average, quick 24 mile rolling terrain loop today and my average was 19.4 mph.

Whatever bike you go for cost wise it will always be a "wish i could spend more " when you see the next model up and you have to weigh up the cost vs need and desire. I look at the next model up with the askium wheels and 105 and think i would have liked it but for my level and the amount of time i get to train would it have been a good choice ....

if you can afford it and can justify it then go for it !!

cyberknight

Don't get too hung up on getting a bad bike - most of the bikes by major manufactures are of a similar quality for each price band. The Boardman and Allez will be equally good -it's more of which one do you feel is preferable.

That said - the real choice is whether you want an entry level bike with Shimano Sora or perhaps a slightly more expensive model with Shimano Tiagra.

Sorry to confuse matters!
Pretty much sums it up the main difference at this price point will be the shifters and mechs .
Sora = thumb shifter +brake lever which some find hard ( ihave sora on the commuter and it works fine the only ting is to up chnage on the drops you need to move your hand and how often will yu be on the drops ?
tiagra = lever under brake lever + brake lever so you can reach it from hoods + drops
sram = one lever under the brake lever that does both up and down shifts depending how far you push the lever .
microshift= seperate levers for up + downshift, not many people use this but they work and are cheaper than most systems.
EDIT forgot campag, but not many bikes at this price point have them.
Having tried all of these they all work but some people like one or the other

Top Bottom