Which Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dionski

Regular
Hi

Being new to road bikes and in possesion of a £1000 CTW voucher I'm needing some help on choosing between a number of bikes -

The Ribbble Sportive and Gran Fondo and then the Boarman Team Carbon or Planet X SL Pro Carbon that have both just dropped in my price range.

Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Carbon

Veteran
Hi Dionski,

I like the look of the Ribble Sportive and have heard good things about them (The bike and the company), never actually ridden one though so can't really offer any guidance other than "it looks good".

Planet X SL Pro Carbon, Spec looks great for the price, some SRAM Red (at the £1000 price range, amazing - the shifters alone are £250) and Fuclrum wheels but the frame / forks don't look very inspiring !

Boardman Team Carbon, had mine since summer 2009, love it. No issues, fast / very light / responsive - 1500 miles on the clock now. If you get one make sure you get it at £1000 not £1200, Halfords keep playing the prices so they can show it as a sale item, it's a bargain either way but the £200 is better off in your pocket. (I guess if you are CTW you are limited to £1000 anyway).

Oh, and Halfords were particularly useless at setup, if you get one find a LBS that will do the setup for you and ask them to grease the BB as well, mine was dry. Shouldn't cost you more than £25.00!!

Whatever you get enjoy
wave.gif

OP
OP
D

Dionski

Regular
Hi Dionski,

I like the look of the Ribble Sportive and have heard good things about them (The bike and the company), never actually ridden one though so can't really offer any guidance other than "it looks good".

Planet X SL Pro Carbon, Spec looks great for the price, some SRAM Red (at the £1000 price range, amazing - the shifters alone are £250) and Fuclrum wheels but the frame / forks don't look very inspiring !

Boardman Team Carbon, had mine since summer 2009, love it. No issues, fast / very light / responsive - 1500 miles on the clock now. If you get one make sure you get it at £1000 not £1200, Halfords keep playing the prices so they can show it as a sale item, it's a bargain either way but the £200 is better off in your pocket. (I guess if you are CTW you are limited to £1000 anyway).

Oh, and Halfords were particularly useless at setup, if you get one find a LBS that will do the setup for you and ask them to grease the BB as well, mine was dry. Shouldn't cost you more than £25.00!!

Whatever you get enjoy
wave.gif

Many thanks Carbon - much appreciated - I think Halfords have reduced the Boardman under the £1000 mark just this week so I;ll go an take a look.

Cheers

Top Bottom