Which shoulder do you look over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I think we are going to look where we need to when we need to without really thinking about it. But I would have said right normally too.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Depends on the road, if i'm taking a left hand bend then there is little point in looking over the right shoulder.
Sometimes neither as I look under my arms.

Keith Oates

Janner
It depends where I am but out here I mostly look over the left shoulder to see what is coming up behind me before making a move. In the UK I use the right shoulder but I don't make a conscious effort to do this it just happens automatically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some time ago I realised that looking over either shoulder was not so easy and I had to move my body as well to look behind. I therefore included some neck moving excercise into my normal early morning warm up routine and I now find I can look behind much easier than before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It depends where I am but out here I mostly look over the left shoulder to see what is coming up behind me before making a move. In the UK I use the right shoulder but I don't make a conscious effort to do this it just happens automatically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same for me - R in UK, L when I rode in Spain.
Some time ago I realised that looking over either shoulder was not so easy and I had to move my body as well to look behind. I therefore included some neck moving excercise into my normal early morning warm up routine and I now find I can look behind much easier than before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This has reminded me that I am starting to suffer from a stiff neck. Looking over R is uncomfortable, over L very difficult. I must start doing neck exercises too!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use both - depends on which way you are moving and the road layout, and where you perceive the greatest danger to be (both shoulders if necessary). Mostly to the right shoulder in normal cycling.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Again depends on which road i am on , country road either shoulder , main road right shoulder , on the motorway Hard shoulder , and having my tea a shoulder of Mutton.

Bicycle

I was surprised to note a few years ago that it was only my left. This was OK abroad, but I had tp turn my head further (and for longer) in the UK and probably still missed a lot.

I found that I was unable to look over my right shoulder without pain (result of an unplanned dismount some time before).

For the next several months I made myself look right and did lots of silly (and entirely made up) neck and shoulder stretches.

Painful for a while, but now I have the neck of a Barn Owl and canturn 180 degrees in either direction without moving my shoulders one centimetre.

(The last bit is fiction, but the rest is true).

More seriously....

On a recumbent the angle to which you can see behind is different as the seat can impair the movement of the shoulders. For this reason mirrors are essential. Then when I found that I missed them I fitted them on most of the other bikes.

They are excellent for keeping an eye on what is behind you on both sides. However hey do not preclude the essential final check before manoeuvring.

Apart from that I tend to look over both shoulders as you never know. At the final approach to my workplace using the car park lane, and then cutting in on the inside is a common occurrence and a classic example as to why it is essential to know what is happening all around you.

G-Zero

Über Member
Most of the time, right, but there are occasions where the left gives a better view depending on the road and traffic.

I'm not flexible enough to have managed an under arm check.

Top Bottom