Which spares & tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Setting of for my first JOGLE 9th September and finalising the equipment list.

Which spares & tools would you suggest?

So far I am thinking the following:

small lub bottle & cloth
2x inner tubes
puncture repair kit with levers
spare disc pads
hand pump with guage
Crank multitool
dumbdell spanner
cable ties
gaffer tape

What about the following as well?:

spokes - if they go on the cassette side I can't change them anyway without a chain whip & cassette spanner
brake & gear cables - never had one go on the road (that's done it now!)
Something to degrease the disc rotors

Anything I missed?

Thanks

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Setting of for my first JOGLE 9th September and finalising the equipment list.

Which spares & tools would you suggest?

So far I am thinking the following:

small lub bottle & cloth
2x inner tubes
puncture repair kit with levers
spare disc pads
hand pump with guage
Crank multitool
dumbdell spanner
cable ties
gaffer tape

What about the following as well?:

spokes - if they go on the cassette side I can't change them anyway without a chain whip & cassette spanner
brake & gear cables - never had one go on the road (that's done it now!)
Something to degrease the disc rotors

Anything I missed?

Thanks

To avoid some potential failures why not replace:
All cable inners
Brake pads
Service your:
Deraiileurs
Chain - check for wear
Wheels check for trueness and spoke tension
Tyres - check for wear and cuts

As for spares:
Get one rear brake cable - it can be shortened to form a front brake cable.
Get one rear gear cable - it too can be shortened.
For the cables - inners only are needed.
If you have never needed to degrease the rotors, why would you want to start on your LEJOG ride?
If you really want to carry spokes without the payload of a chain whip and cassette spanner, you need the next best thing, a gizmo from Spa Cycles which removes the cassette without the aforementioned tools.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Unless your tyres are in Schwalbe Marathon class for puncture proofness - I'd take more inner tubes.

On my recent JoGLE we got through dozens of tubes between us.

Apart from that, I changed lots of brake pads (especially on V-Brake equipped bikes), couple of brake cables (outer & inner), 1 gear cable, 2 tyres, 1 complete wheel; but most of of that stuff was down to the relatively poor quality/poor maintenance of what people set out with.

Think i'd add to your list - couple of spare links for your chain (and a spare power link)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
If you really want to carry spokes without the payload of a chain whip and cassette spanner, you need the next best thing, a gizmo from Spa Cycles which removes the cassette without the aforementioned tools.
the tool is called a "hypercracker", couldn't find any on the internet

Ben M

Unless your tyres are in Schwalbe Marathon class for puncture proofness - I'd take more inner tubes.

2 should be plenty given that he has a repair kit, just change the innertube when you get a puncture and repair them at the end of the day. You'd be massively unlucky to get more than two each in a day. If you are really parranoid take some of the sticky puncture patches for an eventuality where you have to repair a puncture in a tube and don't have time to do it "properly".

You'll be fine with what you have. I'll echo as above, you're likely to be within reach of civilisation so don't worry.

Whoops I forgot to add the one essential that you absolutely must not tour anywhere without. Heed this advice:

TAKE A FOLDING TYRE IF IT'S THE LAST THING YOU DO.

Unless you want to end up stranded in the middle of nowhere in Belgium (okay you're in the UK but still) on a Sunday evening when everywhere is closed without being able to move your bike.

They aren't big, they aren't heavy, they can be an absolute lifesaver.

PpPete

Legendary Member
the tool is called a "hypercracker", couldn't find any on the internet

The original hypercracker is unobtainable. IIRC Spa's version is called the NBT2

Tyre boot is a good idea, we had to limp along with one slashed tyre for a few miles, put a big (old-fashioned rubber) patch from the PRK on inside of tyre, inflated only to about 60 psi, but it still bulged alarmingly until we could catch up with our support vehicle and put new tyre on. If you have a schedule you cannot vary (succession of B&Bs booked for example) then a lightweigh folder may be the way to go.

The equipment list seems ok, you can never really know what you want until disaster strikes, regarding rear wheel drive side spokes, what I do is cut the hub end Mushroom off a few, then bend the that end into a right hand kink, then if a spoke breaks on the drive side, all you need to do is ease the old spoke out, but not that easy, but if you have a pair of pliers of Leatherman type tool with you that should be ok. Once the old spoke is out , just wiggle your converted spoke in place, you will need to deflate your tyre so you can fit the nipple end and then tighten the nipple which will lock the kinky end in place. Easy peessy, not much slower than fixing a punture

Another tip is to cut up plastic toothpaste tubes, so if you split a outer tyre then you can put them on the inside of the tyre covering the split, that works as I found out not so many weeks ago when cycling the Southdown’s way and flint cut right through the tyre and the tube. As someone said here in the UK. you are never really that far from a LBS

To avoid some potential failures why not replace:
All cable inners
Brake pads
Service your:
Deraiileurs
Chain - check for wear
Wheels check for trueness and spoke tension
Tyres - check for wear and cuts

As for spares:
If you have never needed to degrease the rotors, why would you want to start on your LEJOG ride?

The front gear cable I always leave it at its full length once the front derailleur has been adjusted, I tightly coil up the rest of the unwanted cable and secure it with a cable tie, then if push comes to shove I still have a cable I can use on the rear, as life is a lot easier if one has a working rear derailleur, the font derailleur can be locked so the chain is on the middle chain wheel.

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Thanks for the great response and very good advice!:thumbsup:

Tyres are Marathon Plus so with the 2x inner tubes & repair kit I have to be very unlucky to need more.
Bike is getting a full service & rear wheel check before the off and new chain, disc pads, cables & tyres.

I'll echo as above, you're likely to be within reach of civilisation
Not really the case. I have deliberately planned a route on back roads and away from towns and main roads. So for 90% of the route I am a long way from a LBS (how far can you reasonably push a bike a busted bike, when it's guaranteed to be hammering it down!?). A lot of Scotland is even worse.

Added to the list!

regarding rear wheel drive side spokes, what I do is cut the hub end Mushroom off a few, then bend the that end into a right hand kink, then if a spoke breaks on the drive side, all you need to do is ease the old spoke out, but not that easy, but if you have a pair of pliers of Leatherman type tool with you that should be ok. Once the old spoke is out , just wiggle your converted spoke in place, you will need to deflate your tyre so you can fit the nipple end and then tighten the nipple which will lock the kinky end in place. Easy peessy, not much slower than fixing a punture
Makes sense. I'll practice it on my son's old bike that I have cannibalised for spares.

Another tip is to cut up plastic toothpaste tubes, so if you split a outer tyre then you can put them on the inside of the tyre covering the split
Clever idea! Haven't split a tyre yet but sod's law says it will happen. I have a set of folding Marathon Supremes and could take one but was trying to avoid the additional weight.

Think i'd add to your list - couple of spare links for your chain (and a spare power link)
Sorry forgot to say I have power links and some spare chain links.

I always degrease the rotors every few hundred miles. I find it keeps the brakes running better and quieter.

Thanks again!

Can't wait for the off now - all this planning, training & suspense is killing me!:wacko:

Perhaps a chain splitter (five quid at LBS and weighs next to nothing) and a few spare links. Have a practice splitting and re joining chain before you go. (Preferably an old chain, not the one on your pride and joy!)

Top Bottom