Which Ti Audax/Sportive bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

Eh? Haven't you also put this in the racing section? I did wonder why it was in racing and not audax, since it's about an audax bike though!

yello

Sorry, I have no advice to offer but I too would be interested in the responses.

Condor's got a good name but I didn't know they did a Ti bike. Can't argue with the prices on the Sabbath September, I've seen it £800 quid cheaper than a similar spec Gran Fondo.

http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b85s359p7169

...that's a lot of bike for a decent price (can't comment on CycleWorld though!) and I'd be tempted.

Edit: just seen that that one is ex-demo! Though nice to see they had a demo bike available.

bonk man

I bought a Van Nicholas Amazon in the summer and it is splendid..... I have done a bit of Audax on it, it seems perfect for that, mostly doing off road rides on the hills on it and it really has been a brilliant bike for that as well. I don't know about sportives on it but I think it is worth 2 gears over the Mercian 531c I was previously using, it is faster up hill and on the flat.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
bonk man said:
I bought a Van Nicholas Amazon in the summer and it is splendid..... I have done a bit of Audax on it, it seems perfect for that, mostly doing off road rides on the hills on it and it really has been a brilliant bike for that as well. I don't know about sportives on it but I think it is worth 2 gears over the Mercian 531c I was previously using, it is faster up hill and on the flat.

The Van Nicholas Amazon (shown below) is a good choice for Audax, plus it can take larger tyres and still have generous clearances, as such it is a popular model for those who want a multi role bike for use on tow path style hardpack tracks, this style of bike is also bought by those who want to take more luggage for touring.

Amazon_small.jpg

If you are looking for something with more focus as a road/audax specific set up then their Yukon model shown below is also a very popular choice, this is a closer comparison to the Sabbath September and Condor Grand Fondo mentioned in the OP. Although these bikes can take a rear pannier rack generally they would not be used by those who potentially may want carry heavier loads, I use mine for fast day rides and 'light tours' , a bike I 'reviewed here' that may be of interest.

Yukon_small.jpg

There are some others that make suitable Audax specific bikes with Titanium frames including 'Burls' , 'Enigma' and 'Xacd', the latter is a manufacturer that you deal with directly.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Herlihy

Über Member
A friend has just bought the Enigma Etape which he rates greatly. It would seem to fit your spec.

Noodley

I have a Van Nicholas Yukon which I use for events of 200km plus and/or hilly rides cos it has a triple chainset.

toontra

Veteran
Noodley said:
I have a Van Nicholas Yukon which I use for events of 200km plus and/or hilly rides cos it has a triple chainset.

As do I. 180 miles is the longest day ride so far. Fast enough for sportives, comfy enough for long audaxes.

yello

At the risk of being denounced as a heathen I reckon the Van Nicholas (all hail ;)) is pricey. I know it gets good reviews (emperor's new clothes??) but I personally would be looking to test ride it alongside the likes of the Sabbath and Enigma to see for myself.

I've got a Sunday (Sabbath) Silk Road to ride in sportives. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it, or any other Sabbath as they are now. Greg Roche couldn't of been more helpful, or patient!

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
yello said:
At the risk of being denounced as a heathen I reckon the Van Nicholas (all hail :angry:) is pricey. I know it gets good reviews (emperor's new clothes??) but I personally would be looking to test ride it alongside the likes of the Sabbath and Enigma to see for myself.

Of the three above:

Sabbath September Frame £899
Van Nicholas Yukon Frame €899, plus VAT is just over £1006.*
Enigma Etape Frame £1050 (their website states a 5-7.5% price increase after 31/12/08)

All prices taken from the website of each company today, in reality all are well made frames and set up to offer a similar ride, each would be ideal for Audax and long/fast day riding.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

* I used an exchange rate of 1 Euro = 0.9736 to obtain the Sterling price then added 15% Vat; taken today from www.travelex.co.uk

Sully

Über Member
Hi Im interested in attempting some Audax's in 2009 problem is I purchased a bike prior to me even thinking of entering an Audax so heres the big question du recon my bike ll be ok for anything upto a 100 mila I have a Wilier Triestina Thor with campagnolo groupset, and advice is greatly appreciated,
Craig

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Sully said:
Hi Im interested in attempting some Audax's in 2009 problem is I purchased a bike prior to me even thinking of entering an Audax so heres the big question du recon my bike ll be ok for anything upto a 100 mila I have a Wilier Triestina Thor with campagnolo groupset, and advice is greatly appreciated,
Craig
For sure many would prefer something they can weatherproof more effectively, with lower overall gearing than a race bike, plus carry luggage, but to an extent a bike is a bike, providing you can cope with the gear ratios and the riding position then the Wilier Thor will be OK; you will see many racing riders will use this kind of bike anyway, horses for courses as they say.

For early season events when the weather may be more severe you may want to weather proof the bike, there are clip on guards that can be fitted, not quite as effective as full length guards but better than nothing..

TTRG7020.jpg

Perhaps a slightly heavier, more robust tyre, you could put the lighter versions back on when the conditions improve.

M_08TyreAllCond.jpg

There is often adjustments that can be done to amend the set up if need be, perhaps a larger cassette or even a compact chainset should you find the gear ratios too high for example.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Randochap

Senior hunter
One of my regular rando friends has the Van Nicholas Yukon, which he built up with a mix of Campag (compact) Record/Chorus and, of course, Shimano long-reach brakes.

He likes it very much. Our shop built it up for him, so I had chance to have a good look at the (Chinese-made) frame in it's raw state. The tolerances aren't particularly great, but I'd say it's pretty good for the price.

My custom ti Marinoni is a jewel, but you would pay a good deal more.

My main advice is the same as others who have cautioned to make sure you have clearances for bigger tyres and mudguards and ability to attach a rack. My friend has successfully run 30mm tyres on the Van Nicholas and uses a rack and racktop bag.

There's photos of him in action on the Van Nicholas on this page. It is, of course, the ti-coloured bike.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Randochap said:
One of my regular rando friends has the Van Nicholas Yukon, which he built up with a mix of Campag (compact) Record/Chorus and, of course, Shimano long-reach brakes.

He likes it very much. Our shop built it up for him, so I had chance to have a good look at the (Chinese-made) frame in it's raw state. The tolerances aren't particularly great, but I'd say it's pretty good for the price.

My custom ti Marinoni is a jewel, but you would pay a good deal more.

My main advice is the same as others who have cautioned to make sure you have clearances for bigger tyres and mudguards and ability to attach a rack. My friend has successfully run 30mm tyres on the Van Nicholas and uses a rack and racktop bag.

There's photos of him in action on the Van Nicholas on this page. It is, of course, the ti-coloured bike.
Can't find the pictures of your friends bike via the page you linked to; would like to see 30mm tyres on a Yukon with guards, normally someone who would want to run something that large would use the Van Nicholas Amazon instead, most run 23 to 28c on the Yukon

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

Top Bottom