Which Tyres for Commute (Road Bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

san

Hi All.
Been off for a while, but back for advice.
Been commuting for a year now on a Marin Novato 09.
Great bike, very happy with it, but have just ordered a
Trek 1.9 road bike as I am fitter and want to start pushing my cycling a little further and the Marin can't really do that. I've been using Specialized Armadillo's on the bike for 7 months and only had 2 punctures, both from huge pieces of glass.
Am happy with them, but they don't come in a size narrow enough for a road bike (Unless I am looking in the wrong place)

What I am after is what's recommended out there as a good all year round puncture resistant tyre for road bikes. Because I am still not a racer, the tyres don't need to be slicks, but just safe and durable.

I've looked at a few, marathon plus and panaracer ribmo but these days there are a few to choose from, also, being new to road bikes, I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks a million.
San

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you want excellent puncture protection:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus, 700 x 25/28

Continental Sport Contact, 700 x 28

On my commuter I ride:

Continental 4 Seasons and Michelin Pro Race 3.

colinr

If you want the Schwalbe smartguard thing on a road bike, I'd look at the Durano Plus over the Marathon. They're more like a slick tyre, costly though.

amnezia

Another vote for conti 4 seasons.

they are not stupidly heavy like some of the puncture resistance tires but still offer good protection. I have 23mm and they are fine for london commuting.

OP
OP
S

san

It'll be either the conti 4 seasons or the Schwalbe Durano Plus. They both get rave reviews. Thanks a lot for the advice. I just need to bike now. Cheers

wafflycat

I find that normal Scwalbe Marathons provide excellent p*nct*re resistance on the potholed, mud, grit and sharp flint-strewn roads of Norfolk, town and countryside.

J4CKO

I have the Conti Sportscontacts and they have been fine, went through winter on some more chunky Michelins but I dont think I will bother changing this year, might even go to a 25 to see if it makes any difference.

monnet

Guru
I used Deda Tre Grinta's as my commuter/training tyre last year and they were great. Very durable and rode well in all weathers. They wore out and as I couldn't find anywhere that sells them (I've since found out Epic Cycles do them) I switched to Bontrager rigid Hardcases. They're heavy - over 300g per tyre but seem to be bombproof, grippy and for their weight seem fairly low on rolling resistance.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I have Conti Contacts on my LHT, seem very heavy but tough as old boots, probably more of a touring tyre.

The Contact range have a safety guarantee:

In the event that a foreign object punctures or cuts into your tyre despite our Safety System breakdown protection, we'll replace the tube and the tyre at absolutely no cost to you!.

Not sure how it would work in practice, but might be worth bearing in mind.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/SSGpage.shtml

I commute through London's crap roads on 700x23 Schwalbe Stelvio Plus and think they're great. A good compromise of speed, comfort and puncture protection imo.

Think they've been replaced with Durano plus now.

Top Bottom