Which waterproofs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi

I've always planned to go LEJOG without any waterproof trousers, just shorts (foolhardy I hear you say) I have a nice jacket but weight really is my issue.

I think I've been blinded by the fact that over 2,200 training miles I've been caught in the rain twice, including yesterday (sat). I was out on a hilly 100 and got drenched after 2 miles :sad:, it rained until I reached 60, it was a miserable experience, but strangely I enjoyed the climbs in the rain??

Once wet and cold I found my performance suffered? Should I get waterproof trousers and if so what should I choose? It'll have to be a LIGHT pair that doesn't cost the earth (yep asking too much again) Is it stupid to ride for 9 days without waterproofs?

Thanks

LouiseL

When I did LEJOG (much slower than you) it rained every day in Scotland. At times it was so heavy it was hard to see. I took a set of rain legs which did the job of keeping my legs dry. I wore shimano sandals so wet shoes were not an uncomfortable problem. I took Gore overshoes which had been fine the previous winter in England but were very soggy indeed most days in Scotland and could be wrung out.

It's your choice of course but do consider that if it's raining hard or for a prolonged period the wet from your shorts legs will eventually wick towards your undercarriage area and could cause chafing problems.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Louise - just 'googled' rain legs, never seen anything like these before, how well do they work, did you wear them over shorts and as I have overshoes could I use them together or would I just look like a prat?

Thanks

LouiseL

They work very well indeed. They only cover your thighs on the top so there is no boil in the bag effect as with full waterproof trousers and they have a flap which extends slightly past the knee which as well as providing protection means water runs off and away and not down your shins. They are a pain to put on until you work out which strap goes where and then they are fine. The section around your middle is made of big mesh so no sweat problems. I found putting them on top of my jersey but under the waterproof worked best. They come in different sizes which relates to leg length as the waist is adjustable so make sure you get the right size. They roll up small and I just kept them rolled with a couple of elastic bands. If you don't want wet feet you will need overshoes as well. Rain legs don't go past your knee. They dry overnight but don't forget a plastic bag to wrap them in if the rain stops so you can put them away. My overshoes were velcro fastening so when riding I just attached them to the outside of the panniers when they were wet and the rain had stopped which wasn't often! You might feel a prat in them to start off with but once you are on the bike they are barely noticeable and I wouldn't be without them on a long ride.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Brilliant Louise thanks, I'll research a little more - what if i used overshoes just with shorts, would this work or would the water just runs down my legs and get to my shoes/socks? I've never ridden with the overshoes just yet?

LouiseL

The overshoes will keep your feet dry. There is minimal water ingress from the tops but you will still have wet shorts.

Barbelier

Robbie

It's personal preference in the end, but I usually find I get colder when it rains (especially if it's also windy), so I wouldn't go for the just shorts. Being cold and wet really does sap your energy levels.

I have a pair of reasonable Altura waterproof over trousers that are light, and which although not very breathable, have so far been fine. I much prefer being a bit warm in the rain to getting cold.

I would definately recommend overshoes. Some on here don't mind but I hate having soaking wet feet, especially since my cycling shoes are also my shoes for the evening.

By the way what would everyone recommend to keep the head dry - skull cap (I don't like them) or a helmet cover? Last weekend my well ventilated helmet was also really great at catching the maximum amount of water. The helmet covers range in price from £5 to £27 for a Gore. Are the expensive ones worth the money?

willem

Über Member
This is an interesting problem, as we all struggle. Rain itself is not really unpleasant, it only gets to be that when it is also cold and or windy. So in warmer climates I don't mind my bare legs getting wet. The only issues are to make sure that your cycling shorts stay dry, and your feet. For your feet you will need overshoes (and a mudflap on your front mudguard). You will even need them if you use Goretex shoes. I am very pleased with my cheap nylon Vaude overshoes. For your shorts you have two possibilities. The first is a pair of EVent (best) or Goretex shorts to wear over your cycling shorts. This keeps your cycling shorts dry, and protects you against the wind. The second solution is to use a poncho instead of a jacket. Vaude do a pretty cheap and very light one.
In colder weather all this gets more difficult because bare legs are no longer an option. You will wear long cycling trousers, or shorts plus leg warmers (more versatile) and these need to stay dry. Again you have two routes, the first is again a poncho, this time with spats like the Caradice Pro Route. The second is to use a jacket together with EVent rain trousers plus overshoes. In my experience the only breathable jackets that actually work a bit are made from EVent. Of course, for the trousers you can do as I do, and get cheap non breathing trousers, but to be honest, that is quite uncomfortable. An affordable alternative would be the rainlegs. They of course ventilate better than anything, and the coverage is quite good. The good thing about the combination of a jacket and trousers is that it is also warm if the weather gets really cold. You can wear the trousers as an extra shell layer in the evening if and when it gets really cold around the tent.
Finaly, do not forget that you may need waterproof long cycling gloves, and something for your helmet. I use a buff under my helmet against the cold, and the hood of my jacket under my helmet if it gets really cold and wet (rarely needed). Helmet covers are something that I have used in the past, but the problem is that many do not fit modern elongated helmets.
So, to conclude, the best choice depends first and foremost on the climate. If budget is a constraint a poncho is often the best route for breathability, light weight and low price.
Willem

By the way what would everyone recommend to keep the head dry - skull cap (I don't like them) or a helmet cover? Last weekend my well ventilated helmet was also really great at catching the maximum amount of water. The helmet covers range in price from £5 to £27 for a Gore. Are the expensive ones worth the money?

A couple of years ago I was given a Sou'wester by a trawlerman in Brixham. Best piece of waterproof headgear I have ever had.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks for the advice, esp Willem, lots of thought gone into that.

I've decided to go for a pair of Montane atomic trousers to go with the overshoes, I'm not fitting mudguards so I hope the majority of the time it's dry.

Thanks again.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think a lot depends on where you are staying & if drying facilities.
If somewhre warm & dry to stay each day (as we had) then a lightweight packaway top is fine IMO.
I have all the lightweight Goretex for mountain walking and mountain marathons... just didn't take it, and didn't feel the lack of.
The Aldi yellow showerproof over a l/s jersey was enough for me most days, despite some very unseasonal weather. I did take a heavier waterproof but ended up lending it to another member of our group.
Wouldnt want o/trousers but then I do have full mudguards

Top Bottom