White van driver teaches me a lesson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming off a roundabout the road widens then narrows (pinch point) so I remain in the primary position. Van driver behind me doesn't like it and sits right in my back wheel (battery had run out on rear camera :smile:). He then passes me and out of concern for his proximity I put out a hand to defend myself (not much use but instinctive). He is close enough for my fingers to touch the back panel of his van (finger tips only, but that is pretty close!)
After passing me, he signals that I should be further over. No, because it is a pinch point, parked cars, junction etc. He then hits his brakes, there is nothing in front of him of course, forcing me to quickly brake to avoid hitting him. You can see my head lurch forward as I had to brake quite aggressively.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8wc1CMaB0

I think his braking in front of me was an agressive act to try and endanger me. What do you think? Should I report V519 POC to the police? Is it worth it?

:smile::smile:!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Do you really think they'll do anything about it? :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Do you really think they'll do anything about it? :smile:

That's part of the reason why I wanted to ask on here. I'm not sure anything would be done, but at best his driving was reckless, in fact I would suggest that he intentionally placed me in danger with what he did. I'm not sure I should let him away with that, but I don't want to waste my, or police time.

yello

If it was the same WV that entered the roundabout at about the same time as you then I think I would have let him go before that pinch point. Probably just by the road sweeper, depends.

In answer to your question, no I wouldn't report it. The bloke was a twat for hitting the breaks but that's about the sum total of it in my book. It was momentary, I'd guess he knew where you were and gauged it'd make you brake but not run into the back of him.

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Oops! Just realised that I forgot to post the link

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8wc1CMaB0

I'd have been worried that the ladders were not properly secured when the van was braking.

Once a ladder fell off the roof of a white van as we pulled up to the lights - it scared the shoot out of me.

I don't think the police would do anything about that kind of incident - but if you report it and you get any kind of result, let us know.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

yello said:
If it was the same WV that entered the roundabout at about the same time as you then I think I would have let him go before that pinch point.

No, he was the white van that entered from the first entrance to the roundabout that I passed.

dodgy

Why is it only riders that use terms such as 'primary' and 'secondary' that come on here to regale us of their near misses? I'd never even heard of the term until joining this forum a few months back.

Dave.

yello

magnatom said:
No, he was the white van that entered from the first entrance to the roundabout that I passed.

Ok, spotted him now, the one with the ladders. I'm still inclined to say you held primary for longer than needed... but it's so difficult to tell when you're not the one on the bike!

yello

dodgy said:
Why is it only riders that use terms such as 'primary' and 'secondary' that come on here to regale us of their near misses?

It's just convenient terminology to describe road position Dave. I think you might be reading too much into it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

dodgy said:
Why is it only riders that use terms such as 'primary' and 'secondary' that come on here to regale us of their near misses? I'd never even heard of the term until joining this forum a few months back.

Dave.

Because we are the ones who are concerned with road safety. We are the ones that are not just willing to put up with the dangerous driving that we come across. We are the ones that actually notice the dangerous situations. I have seen many cyclists who were oblivious to the dangers that they were in (I have posted videos of this!). (I am not suggesting that you are oblivious, but many are!)

What would you have suggested that I do here dodgy? I was approaching a pinch point. Actually as I pass the pinch point I am probably in the secondary position. Had I had the nerve, with this white van breathing down my neck, I may have been able to stop the overtake by moving out further. However, in that situation it is a very difficult thing to do.

Go on dodgy, what would you have done differently there.

I expect hippo will be along soon. :smile:

dodgy said:

Dave.

The terms primary and secondary have been in common usage with cyclists for years, I think I would have let the van past before the pinch point myself. It weighs enough to squish you so why press the point?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

yello said:
Ok, spotted him now, the one with the ladders. I'm still inclined to say you held primary for longer than needed... but it's so difficult to tell when you're not the one on the bike!

I maintain the primary because of the approaching pinch point and the parked cars. As I pass the pinch my position is actually secondary. Looking back at it, maybe if I had the guts I should have been further out!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Catrike UK said:
The terms primary and secondary have been in common usage with cyclists for years, I think I would have let the van past before the pinch point myself. It weighs enough to squish you so why press the point?

Not pressing any point at all. Just making good progress along the road. I would have had to slow considerably, and had to pull back into traffic afterwards (I'm not sure if anything was behind him of not, I was too busy keeping an eye on him). Pulling back into traffic is more dangerous that holding position.

dodgy

Wooah, no need to get upset :smile:

My perception is that people who rigidly stick to their positioning, perhaps sometimes even a little too long, are likely to have more near misses than those who don't. Don't forget, it's just a perception after reading this forum for a while.

I've no doubt that this forum is over represented by skilful riders compared to the average huffers and puffers out there :smile:

What would I have done? Don't know, wasn't there. But I've yet to have to recount any near miss stories on this forum (long may it continue), perhaps that's more to do with where I live and the fact I don't commute (much).

I'm just happy that nobody was injured and on balance, more than happy to accept it was the van driver who was at fault.
Dave.

Top Bottom