who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am a pedestrian, a cyclist and a motorist.
As a pedestrian, it irritates me when I see cyclists using the pavement when they are not entitled to use them.
It seems that many cyclist nowadays, think that it is ok to use the pavement for cycling as it is safer than the roads.
Wrong!!! Cyclists are only allowed the use pavements if these pavements are designated as cycling paths also.
If the round blue sign is not there, then pavements are for pedestrians ONLY.
We tend to regard cyclists as perfect on here but far from it, we are not. It is also our duty to follow the highway code. Let it be safe.
Rant over, so now for my shower after a 15 miles ride (on the road of course)

HE WAS ONLY 5 YEARS OLD FOR CRYING OUT LOUD !!!! HIS BIKE HAD STABILISERS ON !!!!! GIVE HIM A BREAK , YOU WERE YOUNG ONCE !!!!! :angry:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't see the fuss. I'd really rather they didn't. Outside London and many city centres there really isn't that much harm in it.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I used the footpath today when the temporary red light at the roadworks didn't change to green despite the fact no cars were coming in the opposite direction. 50yds,then back on the road, no peds anywhere.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I don't see the fuss. I'd really rather they didn't. Outside London and many city centres there really isn't that much harm in it.

It's another case of "The law doesn't apply to me". I do my utmost to stay within the boundaries of the law even when breaking said law would benefit me. It narks me when other don't. Rant over.

corshamjim

Cyclists and pedestrians coexist reasonably well on the canal towpaths near here, so I really fail to see why the same couldn't be true for our pavements.

I do cycle along a short stretch of pavement every day as it would be utterly pedantic to dismount and remount when there is nobody around to bother about it. I usually tut about a 4x4 which always parks across the pavement too. How dare it get in my way! :rolleyes:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Cyclists and pedestrians coexist reasonably well on the canal towpaths near here, so I really fail to see why the same couldn't be true for our pavements.

I do cycle along a short stretch of pavement every day as it would be utterly pedantic to dismount and remount when there is nobody around to bother about it. I usually tut about a 4x4 which always parks across the pavement too. How dare it get in my way! :rolleyes:

The law regarding towpaths is different as so are peds expectations when on it.

Wrong!!! Cyclists are only allowed the use pavements if these pavements are designated as cycling paths also.
If the round blue sign is not there, then pavements are for pedestrians ONLY.

Other than the round blue sign can you elucidate for me what differentiates a pavement were cyclists are allowed, nay encouraged, to cycle and those where they are not? Is it that one is much wider than the other or has a better surface or better sight lines? Only I struggle to see how one is practically any different from the other.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Other than the round blue sign can you elucidate for me what differentiates a pavement were cyclists are allowed, nay encouraged, to cycle and those where they are not? Is it that one is much wider than the other or has a better surface or better sight lines? Only I struggle to see how one is practically any different from the other.

Pavements are for pedestrians only unless otherwise stated. Simples.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

I cannot answer your question as it is the council who decides when cyclists can use pavements. Ask them.
What I am saying is that there are some rules regarding the use the pavements, so they should be followed.
It is when people break the rules that accidents happen.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ah who gives a monkey's... there's a long stretch of pavement between Morecambe and Lancaster which I've always cycled down. A couple of years ago they made it a shared use path as it's wide and next to a very busy road, so i guess i was in the right all along :whistle:

Seigi

When I was younger I used to be afraid to cycle on the road, it seemed like a 'adult' thing to do, so I do believe that children up to a certain age should be allowed to cycle on the pavement, as it's obvious they're going to be less visible on the road but also might not have the steadiness or nerve to ride right by cars. But now, at 19, it just feels completely wrong to ride on the pavement, I actually feel far less safe on the pavement as it's not as maintained as the roads are, for a start off.

Top Bottom