Who cares about weight anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there any point. I'm a bit overweight, not dramatically so. I still run, cycle, walk etc... If I try, I can lose a stone and a bit but then I put it back on when I stop trying. So I've stopped trying. So I'm a bit slower uphill, don't run as fast, don't cut the mustard in a pair of speedos but hey, those sausage taste good and this wine is nice as were those nibbles before, why worry? My new normal is, 'a bit overweight'. Give up the angst on weight. Far more important is to remain active and supple, that has far more impact on my daily life. True or not?

Not bothered about weight as such but I have given "she who must be obeyed" full permission to give me a good slapping (or nagging if it's realy bad) if I ever put on a pot belly. You know the thing You see the belly five minutes before the head appears.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
With you on that one crackle. I'm officially a bg lad but I ride big hills and race a bike. Love it. Just the wine and curry gets in the way innit?
I'm a bit wobbly in the wrong places but a lot of other people similar weight to me are badly out of shape. I'm active and enjoy life.

As me dad, god rest his soul, used to say.....'F*** 'em son. Enjoy yourself'. I try to.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Please Crackle, don't use the words "speedo" and "sausage" in the same sentence xx( ^_^

As you say, overall fitness is much more important than not being overweight IMO. Trouble is, it's easy to let that little bit of extra weight turn into a lot, as I've found out...I'm fighting back at the moment though.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm marginally clinically obese.

If I lost two stone I'd still be 'overweight' and I'd look like I had cancer. As I can ride a heavy faired recumbent trike in County Durham I guess I'm fit. In my youth I played prop forward for my school so have always been 'big' and fit. Do I give a s**t? No!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm happier now I've lost a bit - partly because of people saying "hey, you've lost weight, you look good" - always nice to hear.

But I'm doing it by cycling more, and not overeating, rather than denying myself anything, so it's not like it's hard work. And as Baggy says, it's not the little, it's lot it can turn into if you let it...

I'm probably officially a bit overweight, but it's still coming off slowly, and I'll know when I'm happy.

But I agree - if you can be fit and active and a bit heavy, that's fine.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Please Crackle, don't use the words "speedo" and "sausage" in the same sentence xx( ^_^

I do apologise Baggy, especially if you were still digesting that pie ;)

You're right though. There is a point on the scales which I think hmm, better do a bit more and eat a bit less. I think that's more to do with not having to buy a new wardrobe.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Being overweight to a certain extent is OK, especially if you're generally fit and eat healthily.
However... and it's a big however, Central Obesity i.e. being fat or carrying all your excess weight around your middle (as unfortunately I do), is storing big problems for your future. It's pretty well established now that fat around the middle is THE best correlation to Cardiac problems and Diabetes in mid to late life... and it may be exercise independant.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm worried about my mass, not my weight
whistling.gif

dodgy

One of the reasons I ride so much is so that I can enjoy food, wine and beer :smile: I don't like being overweight, so I'm not. I get as much pleasure out of being able to be fitter than I ought to be at my age as I do out of the food.

Cycling goes well with food!

D

Deleted member 1258

After I cleaned up my diet in 2008 my weight settled around eleven and a half stone and has stayed there. Its a bit heavy for five foot six but I'm fit healthy and mostly happy so I don't give a s*** I just enjoy my food and don't worry about it any more.

potsy

Rambler
With you on that one crackle. I'm officially a bg lad but I ride big hills and race a bike. Love it. Just the wine and curry gets in the way innit?
I'm a bit wobbly in the wrong places but a lot of other people similar weight to me are badly out of shape. I'm active and enjoy life.

As me dad, god rest his soul, used to say.....'F*** 'em son. Enjoy yourself'. I try to.

I always thought you'd be a slim jim Danbo,quite surprised about that.

I'd love to lose a stone or 2 but it's hard work and I lack the willpower at the moment.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

It depends who it is though!:biggrin:

It's no skin off my nose what you eat, just as long as it doesn't affect me directly, do as you damn well please, it's your health, not mine! (that said, my Dad has managed to diminish his diabetes simply by loosing weight and eating more healthily).

I'm slightly under weight by the way just to tell you, like. :becool:

Top Bottom