Who does their shopping on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
You mean this sort of thing? At £1.99 it looks almost too good to be true - but yes, it could be just what I need for small impromptu purchases when I'm near home, but I might not fancy riding 50 miles with it on. As for the saddle pack, that's already full with tools, repair kit and spare inner tubes.
Get one that folds up just as small from Sainsbury's for 5p.

robjh

Legendary Member
Get one that folds up just as small from Sainsbury's for 5p.
Wouldn't work as well as a backpack though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can vouch that a Carradice Barley saddlebag will go onto a road bike, enabling one to carry shopping or even (very minimalist) touring kit.
It does look a bit daft. I almost felt I should be wearing SPD sandals and a beard.
Isn't there too high a risk of cotton duck touching carbon fibre and producing something like a matter-antimatter explosion pulling both of them out of space-time? A style-antistyle explosion?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been locking my bike to the metal barriers at the front of the trolley bay at my local Lidl. I have now realised that there is just enough room at the back of the bay to squeeze the bike in and lock it to the metalwork there. It has the twin advantages of keeping the bike largely out of sight and greatly restricting access to it when it is locked up.

The only catch is that about 10% of the times that I use the shop, somebody has tied a dog up in exactly that spot. No harm done then - I just revert to the original position at the front of the bay.
Today, the problem was extricating my bike from where I had left it, past 2 yappy aggressive mutts which had been tied up within biting range. Fortunately, someone had left a walking stick in a trolley which was within my reach. When the mutts went to bite me I rapped their snouts with the stick, which put them off somewhat - they pulled back and yapped from a safe distance! :laugh:

albion

Guru
You mean this sort of thing? At £1.99 it looks almost too good to be true - but yes, it could be just what I need for small impromptu purchases when I'm near home, but I might not fancy riding 50 miles with it on. As for the saddle pack, that's already full with tools, repair kit and spare inner tubes.
It is very high quality, far tougher than expected. They do a NewFeel one of lower quality.

petek

Über Member
IMG_4387.JPG Surprising how much shopping fits in the basket. Local shop only though. Big shop fortnightly entails car and Tesco run.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What a horrible thing to do! If they'd been my dogs I'd have given you what for.
Very, very gently.

The dogs were several feet away from where they needed to be to get me. I was talking to them very nicely and telling them not to be silly. They insisted on flinging themselves at me in full attack mode, and it was only when one of them actually bit my shoe that I did anything.

If your dogs are so badly trained that they attack strangers as soon as your back is turned then I hope people never let children anywhere near them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom