Who else uses flat pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
And I mean just flat pedals, not toe clips!

After nearly 3 years of "going to go clipless when I have some spare cash for the pedals and shoes," I've finally realised the reason I haven't done it is because I like my flat pedals. It's a good thing because I'm building a new bike, and have spent the last couple of evenings looking at SPD pedals online and trying to decide which ones to buy. After my ride today, I realised there's nothing wrong with flat pedals, I don't ride in the wet and my feet don't slip, I like riding in normal shoes, and I like being able to get a foot down very quickly if I need to.

I wonder if I've been bowing to (imagined) peer pressure and thinking I'm not a proper cyclist if I don't go clipless.

So, who else uses flats all/some of the time? And why?

asterix

Comrade Member
My new town bike, a Trek Soho has flat pedals. I'm reasonably happy with them because they let me cycle in ordinary shoes, however it's quite possible I will put some toeclip pedals on as these will also let me cycle in ordinary shoes and I have a pair sitting around.

I wouldn't want to use anything but clipless on my distance bikes as I like hilly regions and these pedals make a big difference.

Bluenite

I like flat pedals as well, my feet don't slip off them, i can wear any trainer i want and i can put my feet down with out thinking about clipping in or out.
I have a hybrid and a road bike and both have flats i'm happy with them and as long as i'm happy that's all that matters.

PS and they last a life time unlike STD's.

I like flat pedals as well, my feet don't slip off them, i can wear any trainer i want and i can put my feet down with out thinking about clipping in or out.
I have a hybrid and a road bike and both have flats i'm happy with them and as long as i'm happy that's all that matters.

PS and they last a life time unlike STD's.

Depends on the STD. Some sexually transmitted diseases can last a very long time. :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
I wonder if I've been bowing to (imagined) peer pressure and thinking I'm not a proper cyclist if I don't go clipless. So, who else uses flats all/some of the time? And why?

Stand firm lulubel, you are not alone. :thumbsup:
Two of my bikes have flats, but the tourer has plastic toe clip things which I still find adequate even after the straps wore through and fell off.
The convenience of cycling in whichever boots or shoes I happen to be wearing at the time influences my choice.

I always used flats when I had MTB's, then I went clipless a few years ago and was loving it, then I had a big off and broke my ankle! While I was in plaster I put flats back on and sold the SPD's. Then when I got back on the bike I absolutely hated it, so much to Mrs S's dismay I bought new SPD's and have never looked back.
If it 'aint broke don't fix I guess would be the message, but there is an unquestionable benefit to be gained from going clipless IMO.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think I fall into the prefer flats camp :whistle: or rather I don't fall

It's something only you can decide and, whichever way you decide only you can really tell what, if any, difference it makes to you.

I have tried clips and straps, clipless, toe clips, powergrips and velcro straps, and none of them gave me enough return to be worth the effort. I did notice a difference on steep hills but the rest of the time nothing. With SPDs I found the negatives of specific shoes, not so easy to walk, getting clipped in and out, falling over, knee and foot pain, outweighed the positives for my type of riding....fitness, fun and utility.

But it's one of those things that seems to exert pressure on a rider and you're not deemed a 'proper' cyclist without. I can guarantee that if I go on a ride someone will comment on my choice of pedals. I felt much happier with my riding, and almost like a weight was lifted, when I finally decided that I really did prefer flats and was just going to go with it. Without that 'pressure' from other riders, in real life or online, I doubt I would ever have bother trying pedals with foot attachment.

As for some of the claims about statospheric gains over flat pedals, I almost feel I should be billing those people for a share of the money I spent on trying other pedals.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

I wouldn't want to use anything but clipless on my distance bikes as I like hilly regions and these pedals make a big difference.

If it 'aint broke don't fix I guess would be the message, but there is an unquestionable benefit to be gained from going clipless IMO.

So, what's the difference/benefit? Everything I've read says it's something to do with smoother power delivery and getting the benefit of the up-stroke as well as the down, and all this leading to going faster?

I have flats on all my bikes with Zefal strapless toe clips so i can wear what i want,can even have my hikers on whilst riding the Boardman :ohmy: !

I love it! And those Zefal toe clips look clever. (I had straps on my road bike when I first bought it, and they came off after I nearly fell off on my first "test ride" up the road while I was trying to turn the pedals up the right way!)

Paul J

I think it comes down to what you feel happy with as everyone will have an opinion what is best to use. It's not like you have to share so have what you like or prefer. ^_^

I am using flats but I am always worried of my feet slipping off and going in the front wheel. Happened to me many years ago with a headbutt to the granite kerbstone and you can guess who won. I will be buying clips when I can afford it.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
With SPDs I found the negatives of specific shoes, not so easy to walk, getting clipped in and out, falling over, knee and foot pain, outweighed the positives for my type of riding....fitness, fun and utility.

Yes, I've read about a lot of the negatives too, and I already have knee problems (not just from the recent crash - I had an accident in my teens that damaged my knees), so I suspect I'd really struggle to get them set up.

Those are the reasons I ride too. It became very much about speed for a while, but I didn't realise I'd stopped enjoying it until I was forced onto a slower bike, and I'm loving every minute of my rides now I'm not trying to complete the next mile within a certain time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Flat pedals here too. I find flats perfectly adequate for the kind of riding I do and not needing to use specific shoes is useful, especially in winter when I can wear boots to keep my toes from freezing.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yes, I've read about a lot of the negatives too, and I already have knee problems (not just from the recent crash - I had an accident in my teens that damaged my knees), so I suspect I'd really struggle to get them set up.

Those are the reasons I ride too. It became very much about speed for a while, but I didn't realise I'd stopped enjoying it until I was forced onto a slower bike, and I'm loving every minute of my rides now I'm not trying to complete the next mile within a certain time.

I'm honest with myself it was speed I was after as well, when I had my serious try at clipless I was about as fit as I've been and doing a lot of miles. Strangely the bit that is meant to take time to learn...pedalling in circles...seemed pretty straight forward to me. It felt quite powerful but I was trying this on my regular commute so I knew my normal speeds and the reality of my computer told me it was mainly in my mind.

Changing back to flats was due to a combination of factors....my first ever fall in which I was lucky not to be hurt and I didn't find it hilarious like clipless afficionados would have you believe. Nagging knee pains as I hadn't got the cleats quite right. I also didn't like the sensation of being attached to the pedals. I was doing everything by bike at that point and a biggie, for me, was grabbing a bike to pop to the shops then realising I needed to go and change shoes.

I don't doubt that over time I would get used to clipless and then flats would feel strange, just as the opposite is true.

Top Bottom