Who is training for first Triathlon in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

Seems there are a few members who, like me, are aiming for their first Tri in 2012. I like the idea of being part of a (virtual)group of people with a similar goal. Helps my motivation.

I am still learning to swim (I am up to about 300 meters front crawl) so this is my challenge over the winter. Then will try my first try in Spring or early summer next year. Fingers crossed!

So who is also aiming for their first tri next year and what stage are they at in their training?
which Tri will be your first?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Oooo am I first to sign up?
Run up to marathon. Obviously cycle, but mainly an irregular commuter. Swimming....learning. I've just done my first aquathon. 400m in the pool then out for a 4ish mile run. Its the 1st in a series of 6 over the winter.
I've not decided which tri to try, but I'm figuring a sprint and a couple of standards over next summer.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I am still learning to swim (I am up to about 300 meters front crawl) so this is my challenge over the winter. Then will try my first try in Spring or early summer next year. Fingers crossed!

My main tip is to concentrate on technique. Don't worry about distances yet and get someone to teach you how to swim efficiently.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Oooo am I first to sign up?
Run up to marathon. Obviously cycle, but mainly an irregular commuter. Swimming....learning. I've just done my first aquathon. 400m in the pool then out for a 4ish mile run. Its the 1st in a series of 6 over the winter.
I've not decided which tri to try, but I'm figuring a sprint and a couple of standards over next summer.
1st and only so far ! I think i'll try the 400meter one first then decide on a Sprint after that

I have only recently learned to swim front crawl and do several lenghts without holding for breath in almost cardiac arrest at the other end of the pool. I found that I was trying to go too fast and got myself too breathless. I slowed down, a l o t as much as i could just to try and achieve more lenghts and concentrate on the technique. Once I started slowing down I could do more lenghts each time I went swimming. Now I can do as many as I can and looking to imrpove my speed, see my other thread.

I did my first Sprint Tri (400m/20k/6k) this year (for fun) and am planning to do 1 a month from spring to end of summer aiming for a Olympic as my last one!

PalmerSperry

So who is also aiming for their first tri next year and what stage are they at in their training?
which Tri will be your first?

Vaguely aiming at a triathlon for next year. Almost finished the 8 week beginner course at my local pool (1 more lesson left), and have progressed quite well if I say so myself! (Though since the instructor says I should move up the intermediate class next time, I guess they're saying it too?) Now if I could just get the whole breathing thing working when I'm doing front crawl!

Not too worried about the cycling side of things, even if I will likely be the person turning up to a triathlon with the audax bike! (i.e. hub dynamo & lights, and mudguards! ^_^ ) Do need to work on the running a bit, but that's mainly a matter of buying some appropriate footwear and getting out there!

Going to get around to joining the local triathlon club next year too.

Did a Mountain duathlon last year in Austria, which was incredibly hard work and in which I came comprehensively last but enjoyed immensely!

dongo

Regular
After a few lessons I can just about swim a length of breaststroke, can't swim a full length of crawl (I have to stop in order to breath without drinking pool water :sad:). 1st triathlon booked for Derby in September, so I've a little while to learn.

I have a personal reason for competing, my Dad was taking part with me in the relay there last year, he went out on the bike leg and his heart just stopped. He never liked to leave a thing unfinished so I'm going to finish it for him this year and try to raise a few bob for the British Heart foundation in the process.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

After a few lessons I can just about swim a length of breaststroke, can't swim a full length of crawl (I have to stop in order to breath without drinking pool water :sad:). 1st triathlon booked for Derby in September, so I've a little while to learn.

I have a personal reason for competing, my Dad was taking part with me in the relay there last year, he went out on the bike leg and his heart just stopped. He never liked to leave a thing unfinished so I'm going to finish it for him this year and try to raise a few bob for the British Heart foundation in the process.
Gee:sad: All the best for your tri Dongo.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

booked my first Tri Bit ambitious being an open SEAwater swim ! But it looks fun and was featured on the BBC adventure show last year
I need to do a couple of novice or sprints before this just to be sure I won't die .

I was training for 4 sprint events this year till I got
InjuredSmiley.gif
so now is all on hold :cry:

Attachments

• InjuredSmiley.gif
    InjuredSmiley.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 67

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I am :smile: Haven't picked an event yet though but September is likely(pool swim). I'm relearning how to swim and building confidence after 10yrs + out of the water,I was always decent but never strong. Run isn't particularly bad I guess but overall bike is by a huge margin my strongest discipline.

I am :smile: Haven't picked an event yet though but September is likely(pool swim). I'm relearning how to swim and building confidence after 10yrs + out of the water,I was always decent but never strong. Run isn't particularly bad I guess but overall bike is by a huge margin my strongest discipline.

Well then you are more than halfway there as I believe the bike IS THE most important discipline of them all! :smile:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Well then you are more than halfway there as I believe the bike IS THE most important discipline of them all! :smile:

:smile: Water confidence need major work,I dont particularly feel comfortable with my face in water,it tends to lead to a bit of panic and desire to breathe,which since I dont have gills,just ruins the length :tongue: I used to be able to surface dive the deepend for the rubber brick no problem at all,but that was primary/high school era so many moons ago. Waiting for advanced adult classes to begin again :biggrin:

Speedywheelsjeans

I am :smile: .. Going to strive for top 20 places contention too, always seem to have these silly ideas in my head to motivate myself and try and run with the elite. Cycling is my strongest, but Ive always been a strong swimmer and I used to place top positions in local XC running events. Lets hope I can put it all together on the day, looking forward to it. Good Luck all.

Top Bottom