Who was on the new 'undetectable' drugs at this year's Tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Apparently two new and so-far undetectable new drugs were in use at this year's Tour according to the French anti-doping authority, the AFLD, according to this article. One was a new variant on EPO, Hematide, and the other was a drug called Aicar that is supposed to burn fat and enhance muscles. Pierre Bordey, the Head of AFLD is quoted as saying he was disturbed by the thinness of some of the riders this year, and the article says that many of the top riders are under suspicion. I am beginning to get a bad feeling about certain people who got very much thinner, very quickly and produced so far unprecedented performances. I really hope not...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mmmm not good FM, not good at all. Just when we thought the sport might have turned the corner. Let's hope our own skinny rider achieved his success through hard work.
I could certainly use some Aicar though to melt-away the aero-belly, where does one get it? :sad:

yello

A serious question because I really don't know...

This new drug, aicar, would have to be classified as 'performance enhancing' (or some such) before it being designated a banned substance, no? Who makes that decision and on what criteria?

There must be a plethora of legitimate drugs that athletes take, all falling into different categories. Perhaps it could be argued that certain drugs are/aren't performance enhancing, I don't know. It makes it difficult for the athlete but I guess, if they were being responsible, that they'd ask for the official designation before taking something new.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Try as I might I can't get exercised about this. It's gone on since the earliest days, mostly pretty openly. It's just part of the game.

Noodley

Alan H said:
So it was.

Take a deep breath.

:smile::laugh:xx(

Haitch

Flim Flormally
According to a piece in this morning's paper, no plans to retest 2009 samples have been announced yet but if Pierre Bordry, the head of AFLD, is invited to the Tour presentation next Wednesday, that's when you'll hear about it.

Seeing that Hematide and Aicar are still undergoing clinical trials and are not yet on the market, how likely is it that cyclists were using them last summer? (Or is that really just wishful naivety?)

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Alan H said:
Seeing that Hematide and Aicar are still undergoing clinical trials and are not yet on the market, how likely is it that cyclists were using them last summer? (Or is that really just wishful naivety?)

Very likely. This is exactly when they would get hold of them as there will be no tests yet, and as the Kohl case has revealed there is a whole shadow industry in dodgy labs and corrupt techs and resesarchers.

U

User169

yello said:
A serious question because I really don't know...

This new drug, aicar, would have to be classified as 'performance enhancing' (or some such) before it being designated a banned substance, no? Who makes that decision and on what criteria?

Aicar is on the 2009 WADA prohibited list - not sure if it was on the 2008 list.

Here's a link to an outline of the updating process..

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2

andyfromotley

Flying_Monkey said:
Apparently two new and so-far undetectable new drugs were in use at this year's Tour according to the French anti-doping authority, the AFLD, according to this article. One was a new variant on EPO, Hematide, and the other was a drug called Aicar that is supposed to burn fat and enhance muscles. Pierre Bordey, the Head of AFLD is quoted as saying he was disturbed by the thinness of some of the riders this year, and the article says that many of the top riders are under suspicion. I am beginning to get a bad feeling about certain people who got very much thinner, very quickly and produced so far unprecedented performances. I really hope not...

please be wrong fm.

Top Bottom