Who's going to see Therese this weekend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The fact that any religion still exists in the country today is a sad indictment of how, despite years of 'enlightenment', we have failed to rid ourselves of these riduculous spectacles.

One valid role for the BBC as a state broadcaster should be to lead the public ridicule and humiliation of all those that attend these occasions. Social services should also take their children into care to prevent another generation perpetuating such bollocks.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er.... most of them don't have any children. Those who do mostly drifted off a couple of decades ago.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The first person allowed to touch the casket was a child. He was a cancer sufferer according to our local news.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
My mum will almost certainly be going. She loves bits of old dead saints. I was in Venice with her and she popped out at 10pm to have a gander at St Lucy's eyeballs in San Geremia. Thérèse is her namesake and favourite saint, so she can barely contain herself. I'll report back in the event of any miracles...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've been to the Basilica in Lisieux - quite a gaff she's got there!

Oh, and St Paul's Shipwreck Church in Valetta where they say they have St Paul's arm bone.

Not that I travel the world seeking out dead saints remains of course!!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
My grandparents went to Lourdes and brought back a jerrycan of holy water with them, which they used to sip every night before going to bed. Funnily enough you see pilgrims coming back from the Haj with jerrycans full of water, which I'd imagine is the same idea though I don't suppose my grandparents would agree.

When I was a kid we used to carry rosaries in our pockets and any time we spotted the parish priest we'd dash over and ask him to re-bless them. It turned into quite a frenzy at times.

wafflycat

This is something I find very, very odd indeed. If someone wants to be a believer in Christianity, that's their business. But doesn't it say somewhere in the big book about not making an idol, not bowing down & worshipping before said idols? What is a religious relic consisting of some disjointed bodily part of a past person who is wondered over, marvelled at, prayed to to ask for help in curing a.n.other illness, send good fortune to, etc. other than worshipping an idol? Odd. Most odd.

PaulB

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
This is something I find very, very odd indeed. If someone wants to be a believer in Christianity, that's their business. But doesn't it say somewhere in the big book about not making an idol, not bowing down & worshipping before said idols? What is a religious relic consisting of some disjointed bodily part of a past person who is wondered over, marvelled at, prayed to to ask for help in curing a.n.other illness, send good fortune to, etc. other than worshipping an idol? Odd. Most odd.

FALSE idols, it says. I think a proper, created saint constitutes a valid relic to worship.

wafflycat

http://bible.oremus.org/?passage=exodus+20:2-20:17&version=nrsvae

"4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 5You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, 6but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation* of those who love me and keep my commandments."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments
http://www.topmarks.co.uk/judaism/commandments/tencomms.htm

1. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.
No mention of false idols. There is the thing about having no other god but him, but the making of idols is a no-no period. And the bit about 'graven image' And what is a bit of bone in an ornate casket which folk touch, bow down before, pray to, etc., if not an idol?

All a bit loony IMO.

Velorum

"He's not the messiah, hes a very naughty boy"

naughtyboy.jpg

Attachments

• naughtyboy.jpg
    naughtyboy.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 14

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thigh and footbone. What happened to the rest of her? Did they lose it? Share with some other God Botherers?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can get that casket in 150 weekly parts from Marshall Cavendish. It doesn't come cheap though - it'll cost you an arm and a leg (to put in the casket of course):biggrin:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do you realise that in some countries this kind of internet blasphemy could get us all flogged?

Top Bottom