Who's got the oldest poppy then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Buy a new one you tight fisted sod :smile:

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's usually a miracle if mine survive as long as the 11th, if I buy them more than a day before.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's strangely appropriate - poppies (the flower, not the paper thingys) can lay dormant for fifty years. Damn difficult to get rid of in a grain crop

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I usually buy mine the week before - they don't stand up to all weather wear particularly well - like other posters, I'd struggle to make one last beyond the 11th, even if I desired to.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You can buy "coprolite" (aka fossilised animal dung)but....
oh,sorry, I read the title as "who's got the oldest ploppy"
smile.gif

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:biggrin:

Went back to my parents' a few weeks ago and sorted out a bit of my old stuff...including some 80's Haig Fund poppies! Their stems were much higher quality than these new fangled ones.

You can rest easy as oldest poppy owner though, I finally chucked them out.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I stopped wearing them years ago*

Seriously, I don't need to be wearing a piece of paper and plastic before I can think of war. Besides, they are crap these days anyway with the daft plastic stems that are of no use to man nor beast (at least the old metal ones actually worked!):blush:

* - I used to think it was important, nay, my DUTY to wear one (and shame on you for not wearing one!), becuase we are all taught that emotional fascism as kids, but now it just makes me feel rather uneasy.

How will wearing one magically make me a more compassionate and caring person?

Strick

I stopped wearing one several years ago, but still donate.
My logic is that if they cost say 3p to produce, and you donate £1, all of a sudden, your donation is worth 97p. As they say at Tesco, every little helps. In fairness, where I used to "buy" a poppy once a year and feel happy that I had "done my bit", I probably now actually put more in the tubs in total.
I dont feel the NEED to wear it to tell everyone else I meet in life that I have donated, any more than I advertise that I have given to other charities.
I should also point out that I dont have issues with the people who do take one and wear it. Each to their own and all that.

Top Bottom