Who's that guy/woman in the dirty mac?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54540428

Interesting, as in my many years of London wanderings I have seen a few things that looked a bit "interesting".

This bit of the article rather jumped out at me, if not in a dirty mac:

"Mr McCallum said empty streets in lockdowns during the coronavirus pandemic have made covert surveillance far harder.
Fewer crowds give adversaries fewer opportunities to attack but make the job of MI5's watchers more conspicuous.

"We spend our days and nights planting microphones in attics - with warrants - and meeting covert informants," said Mr McCallum, "so we are used to operating in secret with extreme care."

Anyone else ever spotted anything a bit odd?

I must say I found the promoted idea that the spooks are crawling around in attics these days a bit bizarre/ludicrous - a bit of desperate misdirection - I assumed their job was mostly online. If blokes are still furtively bumbling with little apparent purpose down rainy streets that would be kind of reassuring.

Anyone else spotted anything odd?

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
The thread title was misleading. I thought it was about Accy's latest mishap.

I all seriousness, the really insurgents are tech aware. Theyll avoid mobile phones, landlines, internet etc, and will rely on face to face meetings when conducting planning. Only way to crack that is direct surveillance, teams of watchers (4 per team, usually 3 teams at any one moment to ensure continuous cover of a moving target), ditected suerveillance from obs points, covert installation of monitoring equipment, etc.

It tends only to be the amateur lone actor types that will use chat rooms, mobile phones, etc, for advice and inspiration. The really bad boys, the PIRA/RIRA, AQ, etc, know far better than that.

Last edited:
OP
Blue Hills
better help things back on track.

1 of a few - once semi-on semi-observing a London demo (can't remember what for) I saw a somewhat static guy with a wire to his ear outside the Ministry of Defence on the embankment side.
I swear that this guy was in a mac of some description (kind of light brown as I recall) even though the weather was somewhat friendly.

Last edited:

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
"...Cecil Accy, known locally as Mullet, of 69 Janet Porter Street, told the court he was feeding the ducks when the wind blew open his mac to reveal that he was naked underneath. The same gust of wind caused him to fall, whereupon a part of his body accidentally went inside the duck.

The jury have retired to consider their verdict."

I like Skol

Hold my beer and watch this....
"...Cecil Accy, known locally as Mullet, of 69 Janet Porter Street, told the court he was feeding the ducks when the wind blew open his mac to reveal that he was naked underneath. The same gust of wind caused him to fall, whereupon a part of his body accidentally went inside the duck.

Reminds me of a poster they have put up at work during Covid. It's a bullet point H&S info affair covering the usual stuff, wash hands, maintain distance, wear a facemask etc.
The last point is to keep away from wild or farm animals, or use protection if coming into close contact. Then there is a picture of a pig, a duck and a bat, just incase we don't know what a wild or farm animal is :rolleyes:
Is it just me or does 'using protection' conjure thoughts of condoms? And who would f*k a duck (although the pig did look quite tasty!)?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Anyone else spotted anything odd?
Isn't the whole point that people shouldn't notice anything odd?

I was involved in something once that involved the police conducting surveillance on a meeting I was having with someone in a pub. I never saw anyone in the quiet pub that looked out of the ordinary and so I asked them afterwards if anyone was actually there. They said "There were two police officers within feet of you. We heard every word that was said and have photographic evidence of the meeting".

I was gobsmacked and not a little impressed.

MichaelW2

Veteran
I've watched Spooks so I know how these guys operate and let me tell you, they are really good at what they do.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A copper mate of mine spent some time in the Special Branch of Durham Constabulary.

It came as a surprise to me the little Durham force had a Special Branch.

He told me it wasn't very exciting, he spent some of his time stooging around the only (tiny) public airport on the patch, in between managing VIP visits.

Oh, and at the time we had Tony Blair notionally living in Myrabella, his house in the village of Trimdon, so my mate was around there now and again.

Another mate was plain clothes in the drugs squad.

He was very convincing, reminding me of an ageing rocker with his long, grey, curly perm.

OP
Blue Hills
Isn't the whole point that people shouldn't notice anything odd?
Well yes, that's a central part of the article, the spook concerned that their folks might stand out more.

One of mine - a few years ago in Belgrave Square (embassy land) A casually dressed guy standing up against the railings on the street side (the railed garden in the middle is essentially private).

He was circled by a semi-circle of serious heavy looking types, some very noticably armed with serious stuff - machine guns. Most facing outwards as I recall away from the guy in the middle. Inside this man-barrier someone was talking to the bloke. All very odd as of course one would expect folks surrounding someone with so much firepower to be detaining them/politely but forecefully taking them elsewhere. I could only think that it was some form of debriefing and that they were all maybe on the same side (ours). Guy in the middle a watcher of some sort? Must have been a very serious urgent need for it to do that in public.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Reminds me of tales told by fraud colleagues in the 80s when I worked for the DHSS in Leith.
They'd been told that they couldn't buy more than a half pint when doing undercover obs in pubs.
One operation involved obs on go-go dancers who were allegedly claiming benefit and not declaring their earnings. The investigation was carried out in what was known as the pubic triangle, three pubs in the West Port. (The Burke and Hare, the Western and another the name of which escapes me.)

Our intrepid investigator was sipping his half pint while the 'target' was going through her act. When she got to the finale she switched off the juke box and declared loudly
"Am no gettin ma tits oot until the man fae the soash leaves"

Everyone turned and stared at the only man in the pub drinking a half pint, who decided that discretion was the better part of valour and made a sharp exit. :laugh:

Last edited:

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
Reminds me of a poster they have put up at work during Covid. It's a bullet point H&S info affair covering the usual stuff, wash hands, maintain distance, wear a facemask etc.
The last point is to keep away from wild or farm animals, or use protection if coming into close contact. Then there is a picture of a pig, a duck and a bat, just incase we don't know what a wild or farm animal is :rolleyes:
Is it just me or does 'using protection' conjure thoughts of condoms? And who would f*k a duck (although the pig did look quite tasty!)?
Parts of the pig cooked and between two slices of bread would be tasty, as to who would F**** the duck? I wouldn't be surprised if someone was, and the bat? we're in the wrong country, in other parts of the world I'm sure it would be on the menu

byegad

Legendary Member

The duck said 'I was misdraken'.

Top Bottom